Wiser2 setup/deployment queries

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 2 Controller' started by pgordon, Jun 5, 2019.

1. pgordon

pgordon

Hi all, looking for a little basic setup help... - I have read the available documentation (wiser2 users manual v1.0, Feb 2015 and the Wiser2 installation manual, Nov 2013), I've also been looking at the PICED help, and searching these forums, - but still I have some unanswered questions...
    Background: I'm upgrading from a Wiser1 to a Wiser2 - I deployed the Wiser1 probably some 10 years ago, set it up, and have hardly touched it since (except to troubleshoot occasional timekeeping issues). As a result of the latest timekeeping issue, I've been spurred into action to upgrade to the wiser2 that's been sitting on my shelf for some 3-4 years waiting for me to get round to it. - Upshot is, I'm really not familiar with wiser config, as it's not something I do a lot of, and so my questions are probably all related to my own ignorance of the product, so please bear with me... (I also haven't ever had any touchscreens, so have had never needed to use PICED for anything else)

I connected & powered up the wiser2 to my LAN & CBUS. I used my router & the CBUS IP utility to determine what IP it picked up via DHCP and I was successfully able to connect a PC browser to its UI. I logged in as the admin user with the factory default credentials, and was able to navigate the UI & make a few changes: I uploaded a new photo for the admin user, and I changed the LAN settings from DHCP to fixed (on a different address outside of my DHCP scope). Rebooted the unit and reconnected to it OK on that new IP, logged back in as admin... all so far so good.

Then I fired up PICED (latest version 4.13.1), and created a brand new project, selecting Wiser2 as the project type & went through the wizard completing the basic project settings, much as per my previous wiser1 project. Once complete, I went into the widget manager, recreated all my locations, connected to CBUS and added the various groups to the appropriate locations. I didn't change anything with profiles or profile groups, and left pretty much everything else alone.

I figured this was a good point to save the project & try to transfer it to the unit just to ensure that's all working (which it is, the project has transferred successfully). Now I expected to be able to open the Wiser UI & see the results of that transfer, however, I'm no longer able to logon to the UI - I get the logon prompt, but the default admin credentials are not accepted, so I get stuck at a 401 unauthorized page. - I don't recall that at any point I changed the admin user password away from the default (and even if I had done that & forgotten, I know exactly what I would have changed it to, and that's not accepted either).

Anyone know if there's something in the project transfer that resets the password? - or is it actually a different problem that just looks like an incorrect password? - I recall nothing during the project wizard that asked for a password...

Now back to toolkit - I use(d) the Wiser1 as my CNI for toolkit connection for CBUS unit/group config, so obviously I want to change this to use the Wiser2.... - I edited the network settings and did no more than change the IP from the W1 to the W2s address, - and this seems to be working just fine... however I notice on the connection type dropdown, it was previously set to "CNI" - which I left - but there is an option of a "Wiser" connection type in the list... - I'm curious as to the implications of this selection... - it seems to be working fine as CNI so I'm inclined to leave it alone - but is that the "correct" choice?

Also, having rescanned the network, I see the W2 is detected as 2 new network devices:
    PC_CNIE - Wiser MKII C-Bus Network Interface (part name WISR_CNE)
    SYSWSR2 - Wiser Home Controller MKII (part name WISER2)

As opposed to the Wiser 1 - which is still on the network, but only ever as one device:
    PC_CNICI - Inline C-Bus Network Interface Mk.2 (part name %)SERCNI)

I have been able to save the new unit SYSWSR2 to the database, but I cannot save the the PC_CNIE unit to the database as the save dialog says "A non-compatible unit exists in the database" - am I correct in assuming therefore that the 2 CNI units are mutually exclusive? (NB since the Wiser2 was 2nd-user it had duplicatied unit addresses which had to be unravelled, but that too was fine).

pgordon, Jun 5, 2019
  2. pgordon

pgordon

Actually, I figured out the first query with help from this post: https://www.cbusforums.com/threads/wiser-2-help-cant-get-to-1st-base-let-alone-beyond.9062/
    the unit was not new, but the default admin username & password most definitely were at the defaults before I transferred a new project - I logged in several times using that.
    I created a brand new project - and upon looking at the profiles it contained, I see there is only a "default" profile, so I created the admin profile in the project & transferred that, and all is well again...

However, surely that sequence of events implies that anytime a *new* project is created for a wiser 2, doesn't the profile information have to be entered? - I didn't see any reference to doing that in either of the official docs...

I'd still be interested in any feedback to the other questions though...

TIA

Paul G.

pgordon, Jun 5, 2019
  3. pgordon

Wonkey

"A non-compatible unit exists in the database" implies that you are attempting to save your network programming into the wrong type of unit.
    Quickest fix delete both CNI's from the DB and save them again from the network to the DB.

Wonkey, Jun 6, 2019
  4. pgordon

pgordon

Seems like I had some database corruptions... I noticed some units showing incorrect unit address / part name properties. I needed to delete "a bunch" (technical term) of units from the database & re-add them, then all was well again...

pgordon, Jun 13, 2019
Ask a Question