Toolkit Program EDLT with 1.6.0 FW over NW Bridge

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by JasonY00, Apr 5, 2023.

1. JasonY00

JasonY00

I have a installation with one main network and two bridged networks all happily working with good CBUS voltages, clocks and burdens where needed. The network consists of about 150 devices dated from 2004 to the present. There are 30 eDLT's distributed across the main and two bridged networks with FW 5.5.00 and the newer 1.6.0 version.

Although I can open and program the EDLT's with the 5.5.00 FW on all three networks, I cannot open the 1.6.0 FW version EDLT's on the bridged networks for programming. I can, however, open them for editing on the main network that is accessed directly via a CNI.

In Toolkit, all Groups 1-16 are shown as unknown and an opening them for editing produces the following :

When opening the Unit from the Network window, the following behavior is observed:

The opening dialog percentage moves from 10%, 25%, 20% (yes 20%), 30% then 85% then the following errors then appear

upload_2023-4-5_13-9-17.png

upload_2023-4-5_13-10-22.png

Then back to the main Toolkit screen upon clearing each error window.

If I open the EDLT for editing from the database window, it opens as expected, but when I try to save to the network, I get the following error:

upload_2023-4-5_13-18-32.png

I am running the latest Toolkit 1.16.2 and upon updating, I deleted everything from the c-gate2 directory, reinstalled, copied my database back to the /tag directory and did a Project repair, just to be sure as per this thread dealing with EDLT firmware issues:
    https://www.cbusforums.com/threads/edlt-no-serial-number-in-toolkit-unable-to-open.10981/

Tried with a second CNI/c-gate install on my laptop with the same error.

The 2x bridge FW versions are 4.4.00 and 5.5.00. And "All Applications" are passed by the bridges.

My current workaround is to program the EDLT on the main network then copy the unit in the database to the bridged network in toolkit. I then move the physical EDLT from the main to the bridged network so at least a toolkit scan will match up serial numbers, unit type etc.

Will I have to disconnect the EDLT's from the bridged networks and connect to the main network EVERY TIME I want to make a change to their programming...or am I missing something? I realise that this isn't something that is a problem for most single networks, but is there a known bug/workaround for this behavior?

Cheers and thanks

Jason

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
    JasonY00, Apr 5, 2023
  2. JasonY00

JasonY00

EDIT: A Toolkit topology output of the Backbone network
    upload_2023-4-5_15-41-30.png

Each network passes All Applications onto adjacent network and the other "remote" network

JasonY00, Apr 5, 2023
  3. JasonY00

Graham Lamb

Hi
    The network bridge firmware 4.4.00 were a problem with large networks and it would be very old unit (was told by clipsal at the time to do with buffer??) the other thing you might try is reboot eDLT (disconect from cbus cable).

Graham Lamb, Apr 6, 2023
  4. JasonY00

JasonY00

Thanks Graham,

I have a spare new bridge (less than 1 year old) so I will swap it out with the older one. I will also "power cycle" the bridged network (to save unscrewing every new EDLT from the wall). Hopefully it helps, but it may still not explain the same behavior that is happening on the other bridged network with the newer 5.5.00 firmware. But you never know...

I am always happy to try anything suggested and thank you for your advice.

Cheers and thanks

Jason

JasonY00, Apr 6, 2023
  5. JasonY00

noyzey

This is a known fault (by CIS support) in trying to programme an eDLT through a network bridge. It has been around for a few months now (November 2021) and there is currently no fix as they are working on the new toolkit platform rather than fixing the known bugs. Very frustrating! I now have to install 2 CNIs, one on each network when commissioning the home.

noyzey, May 18, 2023
  6. JasonY00

JasonY00

Thanks for the heads up. Indeed November 2021 is a few months...

I can program the eDLT's with the older firmware revision, just not the latest firmware revision.

So I guess its a case of pull them off the wall to program them each time or put a CNI on each of my 3 networks as you have done. Luckily I have two spare CNI's so if the fix may take a while, then this may be the best option.

I appreciate your reply.

Cheers

Jason

JasonY00, May 18, 2023
Ask a Question