Wiser 2 won't connect after NBN connection

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 2 Controller' started by john fisher, Nov 2, 2017.

1. john fisher

john fisher

We have just connected to the NBN. The Wiser 2 will not connect via my iPhone

john fisher, Nov 2, 2017
  2. john fisher

Ashley

You haven't given us much to go on, but the most likely cause is whoever installed the NBN modem didn't copy the port forwarding correctly from your old modem. If you can't fix this yourself you will have to get back onto whoever installed the new modem.

Ashley, Nov 2, 2017
  3. john fisher

NickD Moderator

It's possible/likely that your ISP has a firewall enabled, blocking the port that Wiser2 is using.

NickD, Nov 3, 2017
  4. john fisher

ColinRoth

I know this is years down the track, but I've only just had the NBN installed. Did you have any luck connecting you Wiser through the NBN
    With thanks

ColinRoth, Sep 23, 2020
  5. john fisher

chromus

@ColinRoth . When was the last time u updated the wiser App? It doesn’t auto update to the latest version so u might need to delete and install again.

Have you checked the public IP is correct.? Seen a few clients told their public IP was X but when I did a “what’s my IP” in google it was different.

As above check port forwards.

chromus, Sep 23, 2020
  6. john fisher

ColinRoth

Thanks for your prompt response.
    I have the latest version of Wiser. I do not have a static IP and am using NO-IP (or similar) to access the Wiser.
    Any ideas?
    Regards

ColinRoth, Sep 23, 2020
  7. john fisher

chromus

Can u access the interface from a browser remotely?

chromus, Sep 23, 2020
  8. john fisher

ColinRoth

I can access the Wiser using the IP address from my local computer as well as from the App when I'm connected to the local WiFi

ColinRoth, Sep 23, 2020
  9. john fisher

ColinRoth

I think I just found the problem. The gateway address was different. All seems fine. Thanks for your help.
    Cheers

ColinRoth, Sep 23, 2020
  10. john fisher

Skymaster

And for anyone else who may come to this thread looking -
    With Public IP addresses now run out, alot of NBN providers are now running what's known as "CG-NAT".
    They assign an address to your WAN side that is not public, and perform address translation, in much the same way your home router does for your internal computers. Multiple customers of your provider end up sharing the same 'public' internet addresses.

If you go to WhatIsMyIP.com, the address won't match what's on your router.
    The addresses assigned for CG NAt are in the range of 100.64.0.0 --> 100.127.255.255, so if you see an address from this range on your WAN connection, you won't be able to get any external services working, as your provider would need to do an equivalent of a "port forward" - which is not possible for them to do.

Depending on the provider, you may be able to request a 'public IP address' or 'opt out of CG NAT'. (Aussie Broadband will do this, for example) - if you give them a reason to - externalising your home automation is a reasonable one.

Skymaster, Nov 24, 2020
  11. john fisher

chromus

sorry SkyMaster, your ISP lied to you, I confirmed this with a level 4 engineer at NBN this afternoon. IP addresses are allocated from YOUR ISP not NBN, there is NO shortage of IPs, and having dynamic IPs has been commonplace for decades.

All of this NAT is done by the ISP and some do it to cut costs and charge more to people who want the ports opening up.

Reputable ISPs like AussieBB have “sticky” IPs which rarely rotate making them essentially pseudo static. My public IP hasn’t changed in 2years.

Aussie BB have a tick box on their App to enable port opening. You used to have to call them, it was simply a case of them stopping SMTP relays being used as spam bots.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    chromus, Nov 26, 2020
    Mr Mark likes this.
  12. john fisher

Skymaster

I never suggested NBN hands out IPs - I am well aware that the RSP allocates the IP addresses; hence why I said "NBN Providers" in my comment.
    I work for NBN, so well across how the technical model works. I didn't speak to my RSP at all (I have a static, public IPv4 and IPv6 address allocated, so I am not impacted by this)

This is not about dynamic IP addresses, where you receive a changing IP public IP address each time you reconnect. Or having a "sticky" address that rarely changes due to a long DHCP lease time, and lack of restarting of broadband devices.

This is about non-routable addresses. The CG NAT range (see RFC6598, section 7) cannot be accessed from the public internet; it is essentially a private IP address handed to you by the RSP, which is designed not to conflict with possible private IP ranges you have on your lan (RFC1918 addresses).
    The NAT is not done as a cost saving exercise, it's done due to IP exhaustion, and the fact there are not enough global IPv4 addresses to go around. APNIC will not allocate more than a block of 512 addresses to any one member. There is definitely a shortage of public routable IP addresses.
    Phil Britt (MD of Aussie BB) did a talk at the AusNOG conference a few years back about their CG-NAT implementation.

The tick box on the Aussie BB control panel that you're referring to disables the firewall that they put in place on the public IP. It does not change the NAT capability.

For most users, CGNAT is not a dealbreaker (it happens on all mobile networks currently) - it only affects you if you need inbound routable traffic / running servers.

References on CGNAT / IP Exhaustion:
    https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/help-centre/nbn/tech-support/cg-nat/
    https://www.apnic.net/manage-ip/ipv4-exhaustion/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4_address_exhaustion
    https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6598

Skymaster, Nov 26, 2020
    Damaxx likes this.
  13. john fisher

ColinRoth

Thanks for that info

ColinRoth, Nov 27, 2020
Ask a Question