Wiser 2 Internet Connection issues - Please help!

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 2 Controller' started by riprap, May 1, 2017.

1. riprap

riprap

I have run a Wiser for some time and recently upgraded to Wiser2. Whilst I can access the Wiser2 webpage and iPhone APP from my local LAN, I cannot do so from the big wide world and I'm beginning to tear my hair out!

My Wiser 2 in on a local static IP Address and I have a number of static public IP Addresses and so have redirected a dedicated Public IP to the Wise2 internal IP address on ports 80 and 10001 (not sure this one is needed). I have also added a firewall rule to pass this traffic.

My issues are:

1. If I connect my iPhone to my local LAN (via Wifi) and run the Wiser2 App, all is well provided I DO NOT put the Public IP address into the WAN field. The moment I do I can no longer login and get the error: Login Failed: the Wiser server is not reachable'! If I connect the iPhone via 3G, I get this error too. If I connect to the local LAN again and remove the contents of the WAN field - all is good again.

2. If I open a ms windows browser to the Wiser2's internal IP on a local PC, then I can connect fine. If I try when outside my firewall on the public IP I allocated via my firewall, I can authenticate OK and it tells me it is getting my controls ready before displaying a message 'Connection to Wiser Lost'

I'm assuming that the two errors are related in some way and it is probably something stupid I'm doing/not doing - but any help would be gratefully received!

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
    riprap, May 1, 2017
  2. riprap

Wonkey

Try using a different port, open piced go to project|project details select the Wiser tab then the Access tab and change the port. Redirect you WAN traffic to this port and re-run you tests.
    I suggest using a random port number that typically not in use for example 8765.

Wonkey, May 4, 2017
  3. riprap

Ashley W

Mine works no problems at all.

What I have is on the config screen, my public IP address:9090, eg 10.1.1.150:9090

On my internal IP I have a bogus IP address, why I shall explain in a second.

And I have use SSL for remote turned off, just never got that to work.

I choose port 9090 as I have another device that uses 8080.

Then in my internet modem, I have a port forward from 9090 to my wisers LAN address port 8080. I also forward 10001 to 10001, but that is for remote c-bus access.

I also have hairpin NAT (also called loopback NAT) enabled, which is the reason I have a bogus IP address on my app configuration. What will happen is the app will always use the WAN address because it will never think it is on the same LAN as the wiser2, but the router is smart enough to identify the outbound request as being for something on the LAN, so turns it back around. There is a reason I did it this way, but cannot think of the reason why at the moment. But it all works no problems at all.

Ashley W, May 7, 2017
  4. riprap

joviermark

One of the first things to try when your connection doesn’t seem to be working properly is the ping command. Open a Command Prompt window from your Start menu and run a command like ping google.com or ping yahoo.com.

Make sure that the cables that connect the computer to the Internet or your home network are secured firmly. Additionally, make sure that the network devices that your computer uses are turned on and working correctly.

If you are experiencing problems with a variety of websites, they may be caused by your modem or router. The modem is the device that communicates with your Internet service provider, while the router shares the connection among all the computers and other networked devices in your household. In some cases, the modem and router may be the same device.

Do an antivirus scan on the computer and try installing a different browser and accessing that website in the other browser. There are lots of other software problems that could be the cause, including a misconfigured firewall.

If all else fails, contact your Internet provider to verify whether they are experiencing an out

joviermark, Feb 6, 2018
Ask a Question