Wiser 2 capability

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 2 Controller' started by Bigdave, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Bigdave

Bigdave

Hi there all you smart people.

I am thinking about buying a Wiser Mk II to attach to my C-Bus. I want the app control and all that cool stuff. I am keen to hook up my Daikin air con too, but it is not RWG compatible and AirBase seems to have a Daikin app only.

Anyway, I was looking at the Coolmasternet AirCon bridge which will work with my Daikin. And I found this GitHub project where a guy has written code to execute commands to set cool/heat etc

My question is, can a Wiser 2 be programed to take a button press from the C-Bus thermo unit and then on that event send a piece of python code to the IP of the Coomasternet? the project is here https://github.com/koreth/pycoolmasternet for context.

If my question doens't make sense please let me know so i can explain myself better.

Bigdave, Apr 24, 2020
  2. Bigdave

chromus

Wiser2 is obsolete, get a SHAC or NAC.

Wiser runs flash which is deprecated.

chromus, Apr 24, 2020
  3. Bigdave

Colin Moderator

Hi Big Dave

To Start with correction to Chromus.
    Wiser 2 is not a Obsolete product. The Wiser 2 Currently offers 4 Client Applications, Android, IOS for Mobile devices, HDMI for TV Display, and Flash for PC Web Browser or standalone executable.

Flash will become deprecated by Web Browsers soon and a solution for Web Browser access to Wiser for PCs has not been announced. While the Mobile apps for IOS and Android are being maintained and having some features added over time.

So Consideration is which controller is best suited for your application, Wiser 2, or Wiser for C-Bus Automation Controller (SHAC) . They are very different devices with different capabilities.

For your Application you wish to implement control over your HVAC being a Dakin system with the ability to control Heat/Cool and i guess Setpoint temp etc.

Questions. DOes your Dakin have control by Infrared Remote. If Answer is Yes then you may wish to look at a product called Airtopia. The Airtopia Product with C-Bus On Board model works with the C-Bus HVAC Application and is supported by the Wiser 2 HVAC Widget. so this is a very easy way to have control with little effort.

The Wiser 2 Provides a Logic module that can handle creation of code based on Pascal, that can create IP sockets to other devices. it may be possible to recreate the python code you mentioned to enable this, however the Wiser 2 offers only fixed Widgets for interaction, and its not particularly simple to emulate HVAC Application from logic inside a wiser 2 to map the control functions in order to use the HVAC control widgets. It can be done but you will not find it simple.

Alternate the SHAC will allow you to use various application of C-Bus and user defined variables and then customise a UI to suit your control style. Its a lot more work but very flexible. The SHAC does not have support for the C-Bus HVAC Application. so you would use other applications to achieve this. The SHAC uses LUA Script for logic creation and again you can use this to create the connection with Coolmaster. you may even find someone with a module for shac available. SHAC however does not have dedicated mobile apps.

With regards to Coolmaster products, some of there products offer interaction using Modbus TCP, if this interface is available on the product you are considering, then this is a easy item to support using SHAC and will require far less coding and setup time. by just creating a Mobus File (json) to map the product into SHAC

Colin, May 21, 2020
    Jaden66 likes this.
  4. Bigdave

SgrAystar

I added an Airbase to our 10yo HVAC last week.

Control is via the Daikin Airbase app, or Homekit via the diy homebridge-daikin-airbase.
    Functionality depends on the HVAC system, we have the most basic on/off, heat/cool/fan, set temp.

The Airbase app has one on/off time setting per day, no distinction of the day of the week. The Homekit app allows a more complex schedule via Homekit automation rules that run on our Apple TV.

SgrAystar, May 21, 2020
  5. Bigdave

chromus

If it’s not obsolete then WHEN is it being migrated off flash to a web package that will be supported by browsers in 2021?

Clients are already getting warnings in chrome and the only answer we can give them is Clipsal is not giving any pro-active information and we can only presume that support will not be available for browsers.

Commercial clients DONT want app based access and how many commercial clients are running these units in HDMI which simply can’t be used remotely to the unit without creating a security and system integrity risk.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    chromus, May 21, 2020
  6. Bigdave

SgrAystar

Circling back to an earlier post, homekit and homebridge-daikin-airbase has been working fine for me apart from one major issue.

When power is lost it takes a long time for the Airbase controller to appear on the LAN, not sure why, perhaps due to the fact it is not officially supported on my HVAC.
    As a result Homekit drops the accessory and removes it from any automations, requiring manual intervention to recover automation rules.

This is not robust enough for real life use, so I have returned to controlling the Airbase schedule directly from Wiser via their HTTP API.
    The Airbase control URL is longer than the Wiser GetHTTPData character limit, so I am using reverse proxy on the LAN to rewrite an abbreviated URL to the long form. A bit more to setup but a more robust result.

SgrAystar, Aug 28, 2020
  7. Bigdave

chromus

Have u jumped onto the GitHub for your plug-in and lodged is as a bug?

It’s unlikely that Homebridge is “dropping” the accessory, it’s more likely that there is a flaw in the plug-in.

If the accessory is in the config.json it isn’t going anywhere. It must be that the plug-in is choosing abandon polling for its devices.

Im not familiar with the Daikin unit so can’t assist more directly but reporting you bug will probably yield results if the plug-in hasn’t been abandoned by its author.

chromus, Aug 29, 2020
  8. Bigdave

SgrAystar

Good point, will do.

SgrAystar, Aug 29, 2020
  9. Bigdave

SgrAystar

The homebridge-daikin-airbase author was very responsive and has implemented a change to maintain a persistent accessory profile, will be in the next release.

SgrAystar, Sep 1, 2020
  10. Bigdave

chromus

Excellent :D

chromus, Sep 1, 2020
Ask a Question