Wiser 2 4G Connection

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 2 Controller' started by davegarbutt, Oct 24, 2019.

1. davegarbutt

davegarbutt

I have got a few sites including my house that were all working on the Wiser 2 app via a Dynamic DNS but have stopped connecting when the phones are on 4G.
    They still work remotely when on another WiFi but not via 4G.
    Any ideas?

davegarbutt, Oct 24, 2019
  2. davegarbutt

chromus

Who is the 4g provider? some mobile providers proxy and block ports differently between networks for bandwidth control. Telstra should be fine, and work regardless, others mileage varies.

chromus, Oct 25, 2019
  3. davegarbutt

Wonkey

The other possible reason could be that the mobile carrier uses cg nat ( carrier grade network address translation).
    Basically you and many other subscribers share a public IP address.
    This practice is starting happen in fixed wired systems as well.

Wonkey, Oct 25, 2019
  4. davegarbutt

Damaxx

+1 regarding CG Nat. Has caused me many a headache explaining to clients that they may need to pay the extra per month for a static IP from their service provider.

Damaxx, Oct 29, 2019
  5. davegarbutt

jboer

The procrastination to move to IPv6 is just too real isnt it?!

jboer, Oct 29, 2019
    Damaxx likes this.
  6. davegarbutt

Ashley W

I’ve just started to have this issue myself.

Really don’t understand what is going on because it works on my wife’s phone but not on mine.

Story is everything has run fine for years then on Saturday I couldn’t access the wiser2 from 4G (Telstra). I’ve deleted the app, reinstalled the app. Checked and double checked the config and the only way it works is on WiFi.

What has me confused is my wife can still access it just fine also on Telstra.

The only difference between us is she has an iPhone X and I have a 7. The other difference is I am on IOS 13.3 the wife still on one of the version 12 builds. But in my case I am sure it has worked since the IOS13.3 upgrade.

Any thoughts?

Ashley W, Dec 23, 2019
  7. davegarbutt

chromus

iOS 13.3 fails for me, ios12.x works sometimes

chromus, Dec 24, 2019
  8. davegarbutt

Ashley W

Ah so it is something with 13.3. Anyway I just went to the AppStore and saw the reviews for the latest updated to the app and it seems like someone has also got the same issue and has a fix.

The fix is to simply delete the lan address so that only the wan address works. I’ve done that and now all good.

Ashley W, Dec 26, 2019
  9. davegarbutt

matthewe2108

I have just had this same issue this week, both my wife and I have Iphone 11 with current updates and both of us cannot connect now via WAN, I also have a static IP address with Telstra, never had an issue until now. so its either a telstra issue or Iphone problem. I tried deleting the LAN address and will not work.

matthewe2108, Jan 1, 2020
  10. davegarbutt

chromus

Update:
    Deleting the LAN address worked for me on 13.3.1 (latest beta)

I use Telstra mobile.

Having worked for Big T in he mobiles data divisions for a number of years (and since leaving) if you are looking for help on the Bigpond side you will be pushing Poop uphill. You will have to pray you can persuade someone to escalate you to 3rd level tech support which will be still hit and miss.

On the mobies side:

The mobile network is entirely transparent port wise, no blocking on any ports, and all proxies are invisible and basically only in place for caching and load sharing (+ shaping if you are taking the proverbial bandwidth wise).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    chromus, Jan 2, 2020
  11. davegarbutt

916senna

Wish I’d found this thread a few weeks back. I’ve had the same issue, worked ok for a few years the suddenly intermittent connection on 4g. I stumbled on the answer earlier today trying to fix my wife’s phone which didn’t even have an intermittent 4g connection.

Now we both connect fine but neither of us can set favorites on the iPhones but can on iPads. Press the star and the pop up window closes instead of the star going black and adding the favorite

916senna, Jan 13, 2020
  12. davegarbutt

SgrAystar

I experienced a similar issue this week, using Telstra 4G all was well until changing our home broadband connection from Telstra HFC to NBN HFC. I was not expecting any difference but after the change WAN access failed ...

Checking the router logs, no packets received.
    DIsabled/enabled NOIP, dynamic DNS working for other services but for the Wiser HD app no packets received.
    Changed WAN address for Wiser HD app to use a different dummy port, bingo packets received.
    Changed WAN address back to using the correct port, access restored.

No idea why.

SgrAystar, Jan 25, 2020
  13. davegarbutt

eiszele

I have a static IP address on NBN with CGNAT disabled and I can access my wiser 2 logging in using the ip address . When I use the App I just get a timed out error
    Any help please

eiszele, Mar 8, 2020
  14. davegarbutt

chromus

86C51ED4-1ECC-4E0A-991A-D0F9B6163C78.png New version (3.2) of the App for iOS launched Friday 3rd April and says issue is resolved.

chromus, Apr 4, 2020
  15. davegarbutt

Ashley W

Its only taken 6 months!

Ashley W, Apr 14, 2020
Ask a Question