very simple c-gate question re ports

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by znelbok, Aug 16, 2004.

1. znelbok

znelbok

I have finally loaded c-gate to give it a go.

I have a CNI as my interface to the c-bus network, but I can't workout what port to set c-gate to use in the networks.txt file.

The manual indicates that 10001 is the usual port to use, but it does not work for me.

On a side note, how do you reset the password in a cni. I tried to connect to it via the web browser, but can't remember the password I set in it (which is unusual as I have used the same password for low level security for a long time). Can't remember last week let alone three years ago when I set it up.

Thanks

Mick

znelbok, Aug 16, 2004
  2. znelbok

JackD

Ports for use in a CNI

If you read the suplementary information sheet for the CNI it says to program in a port number between 14000 and 14009. This was so that it can work with the Commport redirector software with V2 installation software. So that means you would have used port 14000 to 14009. Are you the kind of guy who chooses the bottom of the range or the top when presented with the choice. Most people use the lower figure of 14000 so that's what I would try in the cgate network entry.

If you don't remember what you did try using telnet to interrogate the unit. You open a command window and type "telnet [IP-Address] 9999. The first part of your screen will look like this:
    Software version 04.4 (010322)

Press Enter to go into Setup Mode

*** basic parameters
    Hardware: Ethernet Autodetect
    IP addr 10.11.12.13, no gateway set

then further down you'll see this:
    ***************** Channel 1 *****************
    Baudrate 9600, I/F Mode 4C, Flow 00
    Port 14000

BINGO - the port number is 14000 and so you would use
    42 cni 10.11.12.13:14000

JackD, Aug 17, 2004
  3. znelbok

znelbok

Thanks JackD

I did not get any supplementary info with my CNI. It was one of the first off the production line sold to a retail user, and as such documentation was not the best requiring help from the CIS guys to set it up. I do remember that the port number had to be high and then you subtracted 11000 (some fixed large number like that) off it for the re-director software (as you indicated).

I couldn't remember the number, hence I couldn't try any ports in that vicinity without guessing. THe redirector software has port 3000 used (which didn't work) so I will give 14000 a go.

znelbok, Aug 17, 2004
  4. znelbok

znelbok

14000 was the lucky number

confirmed that when I found out that the password was a four digit number and I could get into the CNI

cgate at its simple command line is very similar to using a CNI (or pc interface) in transparent mode and sending commands from telnet, although transparent mode allows you to cross through a bridge (which was fun turning the neighbours lights on and off).

More to play with now, and so little time

Mick

znelbok, Aug 18, 2004
Ask a Question