Unreponsive Wiser 2

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 2 Controller' started by pgardiner, Aug 1, 2019.

1. pgardiner

ramiksaad

Thanks a lot my friend.

I’ll try and will let u know.
    Btw where can I find the SD card ? Is it an internal component ?

ramiksaad, Jan 9, 2021
  2. pgardiner

Diggerz

Yes, its internal. You will need to remove the hard plastic cover from the top of the unit and remove the screws to open the case. The SD card is located to one side of the blue PCB, in my case there was some white paste/glue to keep it in place which may help you locate it.

Diggerz, Jan 9, 2021
    zei20t likes this.
  3. pgardiner

zei20t

i love the look of them, works perfectly with my modern house. but yes, the top button feels shonky compared to the others.

zei20t, Jan 10, 2021
  4. pgardiner

zei20t

ok so the firmware isnt on that 8gb SD card

your project file is definitely on there though, user password file (passwords are hashed) and some other config files. also a ripple playlist file. weird.

zei20t, Jan 10, 2021
    Diggerz likes this.
  5. pgardiner

ramiksaad

Can you please mark the SD Card from the images below ?
    https://fccid.io/WZCWHC25918/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-2116274.pdf

ramiksaad, Jan 10, 2021
  6. pgardiner

Diggerz

For those with faults I still think it would be worth while contacting Clipsal tech support and diagnosing the LED fault code displayed, I’d be interested in what they have to say, might be helpful to others too.

Reading the Wiser2 manual it may be possible to perform a firmware upgrade by placing a wiser2 firmware file on the SD card. may be able to use the front slot too rather than accessing the internal SD? This is assuming something is corrupt with the firmware.

https://www.noushouse.com.au/brochu...C-Bus-Wiser2-5200WHC2-Installation-Manual.pdf
    page 8.
    I haven’t tried it so Im not sure if it will help or potentially cause more issues / further brick the device. So proceed with caution if you choose to give it a go.

Diggerz, Jan 10, 2021
    zei20t likes this.
  7. pgardiner

Ashley W

There is a newer version of that manual which has details about how to use the USB/SD card slot at the front. Basically copy the firmware image from PICED and rename it and away it goes. But reading that manual it only seems to work as an upgrade and already needs to be running. I tried that on mine with no success. I just tried to find that manual but cannot see it even on the Wiser2 webpage on se.com.

I have sent mine back for repair, but the pictures above are interesting as I still cannot see the internal SD card in those pics.

Ashley W, Jan 11, 2021
  8. pgardiner

Diggerz

Looking at the first Pic I believe it’s on the south end of the RED PCB, just the lip of the SD card is showing as the mount is on the under side of the red PCB. You should be able to use your fingernail to pull it out.

the image on page 6 gives a better view and the image on page 13 shows the underside with the SD card caddy on the bottom right

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    Diggerz, Jan 11, 2021
  9. pgardiner

Ashley W

Thanks for that, now it is pointed out it does stand out, it is actually a MicoSD card so quite small which is not what I was looking for! Actually the second picture on page 13 shows it even better, it is in the bottom right.

Ashley W, Jan 11, 2021
    Diggerz likes this.
  10. pgardiner

SimonThompson

My Wiser 2 died today so thanks to all of those who've commented previously which pointed me in the direction of a dead Micro SD card. I suspect it had failed a long time ago and it was running in memory and I very rarely restart/update it.

Pop off the top cover by pressing the two thumb tabs near the ports.

Pop out the black circular screw covers, remove the screws (5 on mine) and the cover should come off

The Micro SD card is on the child motherboard (underneath but I didn't have to remove it as it sticks out), facing the rear ports

I carefully removed the white paste around the Micro SD card with a needle until I was able to push it in and the card popped out.

Original was SanDisk 4GB HC 4, I happened to have an 8GB version of the same model handy.

To rebuild the Micro SD card (FYI I did this on Windows 10):

Extract (I used 7Zip) the contents of: Piced / Firmware / wiser2firmware_1_31_463.img

Using Win32DiskImager, point it to the extracted file (wiser2firmware_1_31_463) and your new micro SD card, click Write.

Eject from Windows, Insert back on the motherboard and power up

This will restore it to factory setting so you will then need to transfer your project as normal

SimonThompson, Mar 17, 2021
    Robert, Diggerz, Ashley W and 2 others like this.
  11. pgardiner

Jockavich

upload_2021-4-22_11-5-50.png I’ve had some issues with my wiser the same as others. It was sent back and re flashed and works well.
    However, it seems to stop working through the day and needs to be turned off and back on.
    I got this error message
    upload_2021-4-22_11-5-50.png
    any ideas?

Jockavich, Apr 22, 2021
  12. pgardiner

Carrera

My wiser 2 (about 4 years old) locked up yesterday following a power outage. Only realised when the evening schedules failed. I’ve never had to reboot the unit since I installed it.
    Power and MRA led lights on, just like the other comments.
    Tried unplugging everything to reboot several times but same result same lights on. Got frustrated and left it unconnected. Thought the thing was dead.
    Tried again this morning and it booted up fine first time. So I have no clue what’s going on, it can’t be a software issue must be hardware/ heat related???
    Now worried about next time, as I will be having some electrical work done soon which will mean I need to power it down.

Carrera, May 14, 2021
  13. pgardiner

noor

Hi Simon,
    I have had the excat same problem. I managed to open the Wiser 2 and remove the SD card. I am for some reason not winning with extracting the firmware file. I tried as you indicated but no luck. Could you email me or dropbox me your extracted file that i could just copy and past directly onto the MicroSD card for insertion into the wiser 2 ? I would be very grateful. My email is [email protected]

noor, Jun 29, 2021
  14. pgardiner

SimonThompson

Are you having an issue with the img file or the extracted raw file? If Win32 Disk Imager says it's written ok see below.
    FYI - Once written you cannot read the SD card on Windows, I presume it's a linux operating system (never actually checked) so it will say it needs formatting.

SimonThompson, Jul 1, 2021
  15. pgardiner

noor

Hi Simon,
    Thank you so much for your response. I did get the message its needs formatting, so I assumed there was some other issue as windows could not read it. That through me off. Let me try that again and see it the wiser resets. I will keep you posted. Kind regards...Noor

noor, Jul 1, 2021
  16. pgardiner

jessnijjar1318

Hi,

Same issue with my Wiser 2. Can you please PM the image file. Thanks

jessnijjar1318, Aug 2, 2021
  17. pgardiner

Carrera

Did you manage to get it reset, as I have the same issue. Mra amber light with power light only. Can someone pm me the imaged file so I can have a go at trying to bring it back to life!

Carrera, Aug 24, 2021
  18. pgardiner

Carrera

I contacted clipsal support through the uk who put me over to advanced support. They confirmed symptoms point toward a corrupted sd card. They can repair (for a fee), ie put in a new sd card, if I send the unit back to Australia, which is not really feasible in my eyes from uk. I suggested they send me a new sd card which I can put into the unit (and I’m willing to pay) but their response was the sd card is integrated with the unit so they can’t.
    Sd card is easy to removed, many her have done it including me. I’ve tried flashing the card with the firmware image in piced, but it did not boot the Wiser 2. Back to square one.
    Really need to try an image from a working wiser 2 to see if this route is feasible.
    Anyone have an image from a working wiser sd card that I can try?

Carrera, Sep 2, 2021
  19. pgardiner

Memphix

I've extracted the memory card, and its readable. So I'm wanting to send a new default set up to it.

I did the extraction with 7Zip, but Win32DiskImager just gives me Access 5 errors.

Any alternative options here? I've tried SD Memory Card Formatter software as well with no success.

Thanks

Memphix, Aug 31, 2022
  20. pgardiner

SimonThompson

Hi,
    what do you mean 'I've extracted the memory card, and its readable'? are you using the original SD card or a new one? Access Denied errors on a faulty sd card I'd expect but not a new one
    Regards

SimonThompson, Aug 31, 2022
Ask a Question