Unexpected Error when Scanning/Loading CBUS project from network

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 2 Controller' started by klh, Dec 9, 2016.

1. klh

klh

Hi Guys,

I'm a novice (Homeowner!) who is trying to load up my CBUS network to tweak some things. I've installed all the right software and I can connect to the CBUS network.

I see the project, but when I try to load it I get the following error:

[​IMG]

Why would this be occuring?... I'm running Windows 10 with VMware and the latest versions of all the Clipsal products. I've got a Wiser 2 controller in the house and all of the latest CBUS hardware, EDLT's etc I've restarted, reinstalled, retried etc

We are having trouble getting our CBUS installer back and my wife is going to kill me if I can't fix some of these issues :) - I'm quite tech savvy but just can't seem to load the project!

Help is much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2016
    klh, Dec 9, 2016
  2. klh

DarylMc

Just a quick something you could try.
    Create a new blank project and network then see if you can connect to the new network via the new projects network tab.
    I have had a problem previously where a new PC install and running scan for CBus networks caused an error when I tried to open it (not sure if it was the same as your error).
    Then I was able to add my existing project and open it from the project network tree - open network.

Since you are tweaking a few things, make sure you keep your backup safe.

DarylMc, Dec 9, 2016
  3. klh

MichaelD

There is a bug in the C-Bus toolkit when you try to use the default interface via a Wiser2 CNI.

Instead of using the interface you've set as default (Scan Default Interface), use Scan C-Bus Network Interfaces and it will all work fine.

I found this bug months ago and had hoped they would have fixed it by now

MichaelD, May 8, 2017
  4. klh

Wonkey

what version of toolkit are you using?

Wonkey, May 8, 2017
  5. klh

tobex

Sometimes if the voltage of the network drops below an acceptable level, the errors it causes can trip the software.

tobex, May 9, 2017
  6. klh

MichaelD

I'm on 1.14.8, just tried again and it fails every time if I try to use the default interface.

Just tried to see if there is a new version of the toolkit, the Help - Check For New Version took me to a 'Page Not Found'

Googled for the toolkit and went to a site http://www2.clipsal.com/cis/technical which is blank. Then tried going in through the Clipsal site, but as soon as I got to 'Technical' I just got blank pages. Do you suppose they are embarassed about the toolkit and don't want anyone to see it? Or have they gone out of business and we hadn't noticed?

MichaelD, May 10, 2017
  7. klh

MichaelD

I didn't know that, but this problem is definitely a software bug in the toolkit, I did some analysis with the C-Bus team and they found that the settings aren't being stored correctly when you set the default interface through a Wiser2 CNI.

It isn't a major problem, the workaround is simple enough, just don't use the default and 'Scan C-Bus Network Interfaces' each time.

MichaelD, May 10, 2017
  8. klh

NickD Moderator

Thanks..

I've raised a defect against Toolkit for the Help->Check for New Version not working.

The page google found is still there, but the site must have been down as it works for me.

As for the original issue.... I'm not personally sure what magic the "Scan for Interface" functions use, and therefore can't make any useful suggestion as to why it might not be working, but I've never actually bothered using them myself... I have always just selected the interface manually (using the Edit Network button) and have never had a problem.

Nick

NickD, May 11, 2017
  9. klh

DarylMc

Hi Nick
    Phew
    The site was down for a while yesterday.

DarylMc, May 11, 2017
Ask a Question