Unable to connect to 5500pc

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by bart, Nov 29, 2008.

1. bart

bart

Hi guys,

I am new to c-bus and have just had my first units installed.

I have 1 12 channel voltage free relay, 2 4 channel pro dimmers and a 4 channel dimmer.

I also have 7 neo 8 gang switches and a 5500pc interface.

The electrision wired everything up yesterday. So far I can switch the loads on and off using the buttons on the two pro dimmers and the relay module. My switches show the orange lights when i press buttons.

The pc interface has the two lights unit and network solid orange, from what I have read this indicates that there is a clock signal at least.

So my next thing to try was to connect to the pc interface with the c-bus toolkit.

I have tried from several different computers using the supplied db9 cable, both builtin comm ports and a usb dongle.

The toolkit doesn't appear to see the pc interface, it keeps telling me that it failed to find a project or similar (I don't have it connected right now sorry). I have tried scanning the network, searching for the correct serial port etc although there wasn't really any doubt which port it was connected to.

So I guess my initial questions are:
    Does the fact that the pc interface has two solid orange lights mean that the network is correctly connected?
    Is there anything obvious that I'm missing?

The units are not yet addressed and I was hoping to use the unravel feature to address them correctly using the pc interface.
    I did try to use learn mode to program a basic connection between the input and output units but although learn mode appears to work e.g. after 10 secs the load activates and i then pressed the input button after selecting the load on the output unit and then held a button down for two seconds on the output unit there is no connection made. I had thought this may have been because all the addresses on the units were not set correctly.

Sorry for the brain dump.

To complicate things a little more I am blind so I'm unable to check the actual wireing myself. I can get the electrision back to check things if required.

Any help appreciated.

Bart

bart, Nov 29, 2008
  2. bart

ashleigh Moderator

This is a promising start.

Yes, this is also a good thing.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. I don't know why you should be having trouble.

This is a suitable approach to use.

using Learn is also a good way to go. learn will automatically unravel the units as you touch them AND ALSO assign new groups as you make relationships. The fact that Learn is not working makes me suspect your cbus system is not completely wired up correctly.

ashleigh, Nov 30, 2008
  3. bart

bart

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

I am beginning to suspect that the issue is that I don't have a network burden.

Unfortunantly I have lost it between getting the 5500pci and the installation of my network.

I am hopefully going to get a resistor and capasitor to make one up soon.

I am also going to try connecting to the 5500 using a terminal program and not the c-bus toolkit.

I only just realised that this was posible.

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to manualy set the 5500pc to address 01 and enable the network burden via a terminal. I know this is a little hands on but may turn out to be easier than making a hardware burden.

Also can anyone tell me if not having a network burden may be causing the simptoms I'm seeing e.g. learn mode not working and the toolkit software not seeing the network?

Regards

Bart

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2008
    bart, Dec 1, 2008
  4. bart

Mr Mark

Mr Mark, Dec 1, 2008
Ask a Question