Trigger Groups??

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by johnny, Feb 23, 2007.

1. johnny

johnny

Hi

I've gone over and over the documentation i have an just can't seem to grasp the concepts of Trigger groups and action selectors. What is the actual role of a trigger group and how does it work? What are you doing when you add a new trigger group and what do you do to make them work?

'J

johnny, Feb 23, 2007
  2. johnny

ashleigh Moderator

ashleigh, Feb 23, 2007
  3. johnny

johnny

so let me clarify...

when you create a scene say on a saturn key input, you assign a trigger group (movie scene) to the group of scenes on that key input? then if you want to remote trigger scene from another standard key input, you have to change the application on the key input to trigger control and then select the group (movie scene)?

if i go to the drop down menu and say select trigger 1, it then asks for an action selector? what will associate the first scene on the saturn from the second? do you assign an action selector to a specific scene?:confused:

johnny, Feb 23, 2007
  4. johnny

johnny

Is this right anyone??

Is this right anyone??

johnny, Mar 2, 2007
  5. johnny

Phil.H

Hi Johnny, don't worry the concept can be a little confusing at first -
    Shhh I hear Ashleigh coming :p
    Anyway, in the old days
    Bugger, now I can hear PSC coming :p
    As I said, in the old days we used to do everything with group addresses from the lighting application. As the use of C-Bus and associated projects grew we started to use messages from applications other than lighting. So the lighting application = 56 or 38 hex. Now, for triggering scenes etc we use the non lighting application 202 (form memory) or CA hex. Now with a lighting group it is possible to ramp a level from 0 - 255. For "trigger application" we are not controlling lights etc but triggering other processes eg scenes. When you trigger something it only has to be on or off. So for the trigger application you can create a Trigger Group Address then you have 255 levels of that address with which to do stuff. By the way a level of a Trigger group address is called an "Action Selector" - That term only sorta makes sense.
    Sh!t I can hear Ashleigh coming again.
    Anyway, the beauty of "Action Selectors" is if you have a situation like a living area where you want say,,,, three scenes, Dining, TV, Relax - you would creat a Trigger Group Address called "Living Scenes" then create three levels (action selectors) which you will use to trigger the scenes "Dining, TV, Relax" Beacuse a group address can only be at one leve at any one time when you select the action selector Dining, the other actions selectors TV and Relax will be off.
    Think of a trigger group address as a category for scene controls. Action selectors are levels of that group address for which there can only be one active at any one point in time. Auto excluding...

Hope this helps.

No doubt you won't hear from anyone at Clipsal Australia at the moment because they are all out on the Pi$$ for the Clipsal 500 this weekend. ;) GO HOLDEN !

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2007
    Phil.H, Mar 2, 2007
  6. johnny

ashleigh Moderator

Some of us have sworn off the p&^s for a while Phil :)

Your summary is right on the money.

ashleigh, Mar 3, 2007
  7. johnny

Phil.H

I hope one of those is the guy who drives his car down steps ???

Thanks, I crack lots of jokes in the forum (the healing power of laughter) but every now and again it is nice to help others out. ;)

Phil.H, Mar 3, 2007
  8. johnny

johnny

Trigger Groups in Toolkit

At the risk of sounding stupid, i just have another question? I'm getting the grasp on this, thank you for your help, but how does all this work within toolkit? if i say for example use a neo input, and create a scene, i list the trigger group as Living Scenes. and set up say the three scenes. If i created a few action selectors in the Trigger Group application at different levels, how do you specify specific scenes from a neo on a key input? aren't they all using the same trigger group?

thanks guys!

johnny, Mar 5, 2007
Ask a Question