toolkit xml file and csv file

Discussion in 'C-Gate Developers' started by sjfp, Jul 18, 2011.

1. sjfp

sjfp

Hi, has anyone got any ideas on an application i could use to import a csv file into a toolkit project. What we have i a large project where we have recorded in excel all the serial numbers,location, and unit address of each device.We now want to import this data into a toolkit project where we have already writen the unit and project data.
    Today we have done one network, where using toolkit we open each unit and then type the serial number in. Nice and very very long process.
    What i any trying to do is a simple app that would automate this process by matching the unit addresses and update the serial number to match the number in the csv file, without having to open each unit in toolkit.
    An ideas would be great.

sjfp, Jul 18, 2011
  2. sjfp

Dave Byron

What about the Firmware Number of the units, this will change the layout of the Toolkit entry.
    I scan the Units into Toolkit first on a dummy setup to the firmware and serial numbers, long process but better then on site.
    Next I print out a Excel sheet that shows that data and give it to the guys to install with unit number written on box, they get it about 99% correct.

Dave

Dave Byron, Jul 18, 2011
  3. sjfp

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi sjfp,

Efficient data entry for large projects is something we are always thinking about. In general, the process we recommend is:

1. In Toolkit, create the network
    2. In the Units View, press F10 to enter scanning mode
    3. Use a handheld scanner to scan the label on a unit box
    4. Repeat until database is complete
    5. Review the units, change addresses, etc as desired.
    6. Optionally, set up some or all of the unit programming (Groups, etc).
    7. Click "Document Database" option on the "Units in Database" view on the Units node
    8. Select the fields you want in your CSV file
    9. Choose a location for your CSV file
    10. Use the CSV file as input to your other software tools. Excel can import CSV files into a spreadsheet.
    11. When you commission the network, use the "Transfer to Network" option in Toolkit . This will transfer any the programming you did earlier in the database to those self same units in the physical network.
    12. You can then continue to program units in sync in both the Database and Network view.

The benefit of the scanning approach is that it captures firmware versions as well as serial numbers, which minimises problems with reconciling incompatible versions down the track.

You seem to be coming at this from a slightly different direction, in that you are starting with the CSV first. Can you tell us more about why?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2011
    daniel, Jul 19, 2011
  4. sjfp

Dave Byron

how do you do this,
    7. Select the fields you want in your CSV file
    8. Choose a location for your CSV file

Nothing in help file about
    All it does is;

Generating information about the project
    To generate information about the a specific C-Bus project, follow the procedure below:

Highlight a C-Bus project node within the treeview that you want to backup.
    Click the Document Project button (or Right-click on the project node then select Backup Project menu option.) A file called results.html is generated at the following location:
    C:\Clipsal\CBusToolkit\results.html

The results file contains a information about the project networks, their applications, and C-Bus units within the network.

dave

Dave Byron, Jul 19, 2011
  5. sjfp

Hi Dave,

In Toolkit there are two "Documentation" features.

One is available on the Project node, and is called "Document Project". It produces a simple HTML report of the entire project.

The other is available on the Database Units view, and is called "Document Database". It produces a CSV file of that network.

The Toolkit Help contains two help topics called "Document project function" and "Document Database function".

I have also made it a little clearer in step 7 of my post above.

Hope that helps!

daniel, Jul 19, 2011
  6. sjfp

Dave Byron

Daniel,
    Tks for that, it not very clear in the help file that there are 2 document features.
    Your step 7 now clears that one up.

Dave

Dave Byron, Jul 19, 2011
  7. sjfp

sjfp

Many thanks for the replies. However i must not of made it clear. It is not a problem with producing documentation for the project we already have a very good software solution for that. The issue is.
    At one time we did scan all units into a blank project and then program the database. However now the electricans have to install the correct unit in the correct location. so if they mixe up units by putting them in diffent locations we have a big program to find out where they should be. So to stop this suituation, we get the electrican to tell us which unit they have installed in a location based on the design schedules we produce. So now if in the design a room m123 needs a 4gang switch, they can install any 4gang switch and simply put the serial label on the schedule against room m123. thats why we now have an excel sheet with all unit address and their serial numbers that we now want to put into toolkit so we can do a simple readdress of network units using serial number readdress and then we can transfer database(with the designed system) to network. Hope this make sense

sjfp, Jul 19, 2011
  8. sjfp

Hi sjfp,

Thanks for the feedback. The software and barcoding system was designed in consultation with a number of integrators on the assumption that electricians would install the correct units if the design plan included the serial number.

The reconciliation features in Toolkit are able to handle some addressing discrepancies, but we don't have a mechanism to import all the serial numbers into Toolkit in the manner you describe. If you raise your scenario with our Offer Development (Marketing) representatives they will strive to find a solution for you.

Until then the best approach is to educate the electricians on installing the correct units. This gives additional benefits such as being able to pre-program units before they reach the site, and better copes with situations where you receive slightly different firmwares in a large batch of units of the same type.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2011
    daniel, Jul 21, 2011
  9. sjfp

2SC

I still have similar problems, although as time pass the electricians understand better the job we do. If you understand that in a project you will have problem with the unit installation, don't insert serial numbers in the toolkit. Insert a unit, program it and wait to go on site. There you will insert in database the correct Serial number, you will readdress to match the network and you will download the program to unit.
    It takes more time but I think is the better way.

Can you tell us more regarding the software you use for the producing of documentation for the project?

2SC, Jul 21, 2011
  10. sjfp

sjfp

That is what we do. I am just trying to input the information into toolkit database side more efficiently. Like at present there is F10, it would be nice to have F11. Highlight the serial number, press F11 and scan barcode. This would insert the serial number into the unit at database level. Nice and quick.
    At present we have to open the unit, select the serial field then scan barcode and press ok, wait for the unit to save. This all take time.
    Regarding the paperwork side, I have writen a program that extracts information from the toolkit tag file. It then makes, circuit schedule, equipment list schedule, switch allocation schedules, group allocation schedules. Please if you work for Clipsal have a word with Darren. He has some copies of the documents we produce.

sjfp, Jul 21, 2011
  11. sjfp

Hi sjfp,

I have put your suggestion regarding an F11 feature into the system for review.

Reference: 21730

daniel, Jul 25, 2011
  12. sjfp

more-solutions

We had a vaguely similar issue recently and discovered that the DBGET/DBSET/DBADD commands in C-Gate can do quite a lot and should be able to do what you want, with a bit of time on your part to get it right. For example, it would be "fairly" simple to write some code to look through your CSV file, locate the unit using DBGET, change the unit number using DBSET, and repeat until all are done. I say "fairly" on the basis that with the benefit of the experience I've had so far I think I could do something in about a day for my own purposes that I could use again in future, so it would obviously depend on the size/number of project(s) as to whether it was worthwhile.

Note that what we were doing was a bit different - automatically assigning groups to channels based on definitions in a database - so there may be something specifically different about changing unit addresses but I would hope not.

more-solutions, Jul 27, 2011
  13. sjfp

sjfp

Daniel
    Many thanks, been very busy inputting data into a large project. And yes it will be with different electrical contractors. So you might understand why this would help us. Not all of contractors understand how important it is for records. So the easier we make it for them the better.

sjfp, Jul 27, 2011
Ask a Question