Toolkit Problem - Ubuntu

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by leeandj, Aug 12, 2013.

1. leeandj

leeandj

I have successfully installed Toolkit and Piced under Wine on Ubuntu 13.04 (64-bit), however I have an issue that I hope someone can help with.

Toolkit can see existing projects, but does not read the Network and associated structures. This happens with previously existing projects, and new projects created on the Ubuntu machine.

Here, I have created a new project, added a network and a group in the Lighting application:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1biDb_qxVfQbDVEQmRKd3UxaDA/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1biDb_qxVfQWEQ4NmR5LVhqT3M/edit?usp=sharing

After closing and reopening Toolkit, I can no longer see the network:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1biDb_qxVfQVXNrTExRaUFMQm8/edit?usp=sharing

Here is the xml file, showing that the structure has been saved:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1biDb_qxVfQM1NHdHI5R0VYclE/edit?usp=sharing

Finally, if I use my Windows laptop it works perfectly:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1biDb_qxVfQTFQxLWczMlVZQ2s/edit?usp=sharing

This is my Java version:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1biDb_qxVfQYW1xZHdKWTV5UFU/edit?usp=sharing

Any help much appreciated!
    Thanks, Jonathon.

leeandj, Aug 12, 2013
  2. leeandj

daniel C-Busser Moderator

daniel, Aug 27, 2013
  3. leeandj

leeandj

Log & Config files

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for your reply. I have followed your instructions, so please find attached the log and config files. No exception file was generated.

Any light you can throw on this will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Jonathon

Attached Files:

leeandj, Sep 10, 2013
  4. leeandj

Hi Jonathon,

1. According to this line the event level is still level 5 not level 9:

Code:
    20130910-120101 300 sys dump config: global-event-level=5

I can see you've made the change in the config file, was C-Gate restarted after that?

2. I must add your Ubuntu system's Java version isn't significant. C-Gate has its own JRE which is being run inside WINE as these lines show:

20130910-120101 300 sys dump vm: java.home=C:\Program Files\Clipsal\C-Gate2\jre6
    20130910-120101 300 sys dump vm: java.version=1.6.0_33

Which by the way is the correct, desired behaviour.

3. I would suggest to try reverting your config file to default values (you can delete it and C-Gate will recreate it), and then apply the global-event-level change. The reason is that I note some other values are different from default:

20130910-120101 300 sys dump config: project.default.dir=c:/users/user/My Documents/Technology/C-Bus Programming/

I can't be sure without the level 9 log but it would be good to rule these changes out as the cause of the problem, just to be safe.

daniel, Sep 17, 2013
  5. leeandj

leeandj

Thanks again Daniel,

I have reset the changes to the config file, re-booted my computer, and then re-started Toolkit.

Inside Toolkit, I then deleted old test projects (Eighth, Ninth, & Test). I then created a new Project "First", added a Network and also added a Group Address 0 to the Lighting application.
    I closed Toolkit, and copied the Event.log as Event 1.log.

I re-started Toolkit and attempted to open the "First" project. The Network was not displayed. I copied the new Event.log as Event 2.log

My wife made the same changes to her Config.txt file, and then opened the "First" project on her Windows Vista computer, and the network and Group Address created on the Ubuntu computer were visible! She saved her event log as Event 3.log. Clearly then, it seems like the Projects are being written correctly by my Ubuntu computer, but not read back in correctly.

I have attached the following:
    Event 1.log
    Event 2.log
    Config.txt (from Ubuntu computer)
    Event 3.log (from Vista computer)

Attached Files:

leeandj, Sep 25, 2013
  6. leeandj

Hi leeandj,

1. I notice you have commented out the NAS drive in your config file, which is good. Sharing the same project xml file between two C-Gate instances is not supported and bad things will happen.

2. I can confirm your conclusion that C-Gate does have the network safely stored, as the Toolkit (Ubuntu) is retrieving it in Event 2.log:

20130925-075453 761 cmd7 - Command: &4[13]net list_all
    20130925-075453 766 cmd7 - Response: [13] 135 project=FIRST address=//FIRST/254 OID=822895b0-0817-1031-80f4-c55b6a72f9d3 interfaceType=serial interfaceAddress=Unavailable state=new interfaceState=closed

3. I think this seems like a WINE graphical issue; the Toolkit UI is not correctly rendering the network in the treeview.

daniel, Oct 2, 2013
  7. leeandj

leeandj

Daniel, many thanks for your help in identifying the problem.

Kind regards,
    Jonathon

leeandj, Oct 2, 2013
Ask a Question