Toolkit causes BSOD when copying tags from wired to wireless network.

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by BradJ, Jul 22, 2007.

1. BradJ

BradJ

Whenever I copy the tags from my wired to wireless network I get a problem. 50% it will BSOD, 50% it will just 'hang'. I have a number of action selectors (about 80) on a particular trigger group and on restarting after toolkit has crashed I have noticed that only 20 and then 40 of those action selectors had been copied. I keep running the function and eventually I'll get 'all tags have been copied'.
    Also, an application is reported as '113' instead of 'irrigation'.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2007
    BradJ, Jul 22, 2007
  2. BradJ

ashleigh Moderator

Can you please add what version of Toolkit you are using?

I'll PM you with details for contact, we'd like you to send in your project so it can be analysed.

ashleigh, Jul 22, 2007
  3. BradJ

BradJ

Sorry,

Toolkit v1.6.1 - the latest.
    Also its Windows XP Pro.

I'll respond to PM tonight.

Thanks.

BradJ, Jul 23, 2007
  4. BradJ

Richo

It shouldn't be possible for Toolkit or C-Gate to cause a BSOD as they run in user land and not at the Kernel level. In the past BSOD related issues have been traced back to faulty drivers or faulty hardware (bad ram normally).

If you could write down the techincal information displayed on the screen during the BSOD that would give a good indication of what kernel level module is causing the BSOD.

Also do you have the C-Gate dongle drivers installed and are you using a dongle with C-Gate?

Try running a memory test application, like the free memtest86+ http://www.memtest.org and enusre your memeory all passes OK. (You will need to burn a boot CD or make a boot floppy to run this app).

Try booting into safe mode (press F8 when windows first starts to boot) and try the same operation in safe mode. Does it BSOD?

Richo, Jul 23, 2007
  5. BradJ

BradJ

I haven't recreated it yet. Forgive me if I'm not too keen to. I believe its 'mirrorfolder' thats BSOD'ing. I'm using it to 'mirror' my CBUS projects as a means of real time backup. I've been running it for a couple of years but I guess something in the way toolkit is working is exposing a bug in it. I'll try disabling mirroring of my projects folder and see if that fixes my tag problem. Maybe mirrorfolder is causing the 'lockup' as well as the BSOD.

BradJ, Jul 23, 2007
  6. BradJ

Richo

:)

This software http://www.techsoftpl.com/backup/index.php ? Are you using the realtime software RAID 1 mode? The RAID 1 mode actuals at the driver level and would be compatibile with C-Gate. In the other modes it must be triggering on file change, however with a bulk copy operation like you described C-gate may be saving the project file after each copy which would be lots of very fast saves, maybe that is tripping up the backup software.

Richo, Jul 23, 2007
  7. BradJ

BradJ

Yes, thats the product. I updated to the latest version. I'll try a few things and let you know if there is still a problem. As you said, I'm sure the BSOD is not a toolkit problem and I'll just confirm that 'incomplete' tag copy and unamed irrigation group issues have gone away.

BradJ, Jul 26, 2007
  8. BradJ

BradJ

I can report that when using the latest version of mirrorfolder, not only are there no crashes or incomplete copies of tags but the copy is very quick compared to what was occurring before.

Thanks for reminding me it had to be a driver level issue. I didn't suspect mirrorfolder because the version I was running had been the latest stable production release for quite a long time.

BradJ, Aug 6, 2007
  9. BradJ

Richo

Excellent to hear it is fixed!

Richo, Aug 8, 2007
Ask a Question