Toolkit and 1st Generation Product

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Thomas, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Thomas

Thomas

I am busy with a repair on a site where 1st Generation product is installed, and the original installer has disaapeared. I find Toolkit (1.1.5) very useful to identify components, but it seems to me that things happen which should not. I am referring to groups appearing where they should not, i.e. a mix-up of what has been programmed, particularly after running the Application Log. Can this be?

Thomas, Mar 23, 2005
  2. Thomas

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi Thomas,

We'd like to hear more about this.

What unit types are you seeing this problem with? All or some of them?

When you talk about new groups appearing, is this on a unit dialog or in the Treeview under the Groups node?

daniel, Mar 23, 2005
  3. Thomas

Thomas

Hi Daniel,

The Installation consists of Dimmers and Relays, all 1st generation, and Input Units being a mix of S2000 series switches, with some 90 deg Indoor plus Outdoor PIRs.
    What seems to happen is that after running Toolkit for a while, a group address appears on a button of a switch. This group address was previously not programmed onto that particular button. Effectively, now a consumer is switched from there which you don't want to switch, or the address doesn't exist on any of the Output units. That, in a nutshell is the problem.
    What makes it more cumbersome, is that the client realises that only much later, when I have travelled back 400km.
    Now, as we are talking about an old installation, where much messing around has happened, I am not 100% sure of this being a Toolkit problem, but it looks that way, and I basically would like to know if this could be.
    Also, would it make any difference in your opinion, if I use a 1st generation PC Interface, as installed on site, or if I use a 5500 PC interface? I have utilised both types, depending on the log-on location at the site.

Thomas, Mar 24, 2005
  4. Thomas

ashleigh Moderator

Hi Thomas

This is a complete mystery. The software guys are scratching their heads and wondering whats going on. (You have been heard).

The model of PCI *should* make no difference at all.

It would be helpful for you to report the firmware version numbers of the units (esp the PCI).

ashleigh, Mar 29, 2005
  5. Thomas

Learn Mode

Hi Thomas,

We've never received a report of groups manifesting on input units before!

Can we rule out the following scenarios :

1. Alternating between network and database views. If you edit a unit in the network view and later open the instance of the same unit in the database view (or vice-versa), it may appear with groups that you did not see in the previous instance.

2. Learn Mode. Putting the units into Learn mode either intentionally or accidentally will of course produce groups on units where none existed before. However you've indicated that all your units are 1st gen (no learn) so I'm not sure this can be the cause.

I'll contact you privately with an address you can send your project file to, if you'd be happy to do this.

Thanks,
    Daniel

daniel, Mar 29, 2005
  6. Thomas

Thomas

Hi Ashleigh / Daniel,

Thanks for the reply, the file should be with you by now. You are right that learn mode is not an option, also the different views are not the issue. But more info is included in the mail to you.

Thanks again
    Thomas

Thomas, Mar 29, 2005
  7. Thomas

Thanks Thomas. I have entered everything you sent me into our internal system.

(Issue #4756)

Cheers,
    Daniel

daniel, Mar 30, 2005
Ask a Question