Toolkit 1.6 - remote CGate

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by NickLocke, Jan 27, 2007.

1. NickLocke

NickLocke

I have CGate running as a Windows service (it's been that way for ages). I can connect from a local Toolkit (ie running on the same PC as the CGate service) or from a remote PC (ie not the one running the CGate service).

With the previous version(s) of Toolkit, there has been no difference in behaviour between the local or remote Toolkit.

However, with 1.6 I don't seem to get any feedback from the network to the remote Toolkit (locally is fine), for example:

• Right mouse on a group to turn it on/off and the displayed Level doesn't change;
    • Nothing ever appears in "last unit to set";
    • Nothing ever appears in the application log.

Just to be absolutely clear - everything is as expected when Toolkit and CGate are on the same box, it is only when Toolkit is remote from CGate that these problems occur.

I have done a full install on both machines (not that the one running just Toolkit should have needed it).

Either a "feature" or I have missed something obvious!

Thanks, Nick.

NickLocke, Jan 27, 2007
  2. NickLocke

Ingo

I am sure you have checked this already. Make sure your remote toolkit has the network in an 'Running' state - Open the network before you try to set any levels. I just tested it on my installation and everything tests fine by me.

Ingo, Jan 27, 2007
  3. NickLocke

ashleigh Moderator

Is the remote machine running Windows?

There should be no difference. There have been a couple of small corrections made in the new C-Gate but the method of transferring information between Toolkit and C-Gate is unchanged.

ashleigh, Jan 28, 2007
  4. NickLocke

NickLocke

Step by Step

ok, this is what I'm doing:

• Start Toolkit (it starts a local instance of C-Gate);
    • Choose "Disconnect Project Respository";
    • Kill the local C-Gate instance;
    • Choose "Connect to a Remote Project Repository";
    • Click "OK" in the dialogue box;
    • Three projects appear (as usual), my house shows "Open Networks";
    • Expand Project/Network/Applications/Lighting in the tree view;
    • Click on Groups;
    • The list of groups appears, with all entries in "Level" correct;
    • Right mouse on a group that is "Off" and choose "Set Group On";
    • The group responds correctly, but "Level" still shows "Off".

Through all this, the "Application Log" view remains completely empty.

So, it looks as if Toolkit can talk to C-Gate, but C-Gate doesn't talk to Toolkit. However, it can't be that simple, because Toolkit must have obtained the list of groups from C-Gate in the first place.....

I guess it's going to be something screwy in my setup somewhere. C-Gate is running on Windows Server 2003, Toolkit is on XP SP2. There has been no change to the Windows setup - just Java, C-Gate and Toolkit updates on both boxes.

NickLocke, Jan 28, 2007
  5. NickLocke

Richo

It's worth noting that Toolkit makes multiple connections to C-Gate. One is used for the programming information, and another for detecting "event" changes (i.e. group level changes). If the firewall is allowing one connection, but not the other you will get the behaviour you describe.

I can't remember the port numbers off the top of my head, but they have been discussed at length on old posts on this forum.

Richo, Jan 28, 2007
  6. NickLocke

Duncan

Also make sure the Application Log is enabled in Toolkit:

File -> Preferences -> Features -> Application Log (Tick!)

Duncan, Jan 28, 2007
  7. NickLocke

NickLocke

Richo - I'm going to play the "nothing's changed" card again! Would this behaviour have changed for 1.6.0 ?

Duncan - That sounded promising, but preferences is greyed out!

[​IMG]

Any more clues?

NickLocke, Jan 28, 2007
  8. NickLocke

george

This looks to me like a bug in Toolkit, but there is a workaround. You can access preferences if you connect to the Local Repository. Once you've changed preferences, you can reconnect to the Remote Repository and the preferences you've changed will still apply to the remote connection.

(Defect #10332)

george, Jan 28, 2007
  9. NickLocke

NickLocke

Good call George. Unfortunately, the option to enable the application log was already ticked. So, I am back to square one. I still firmly believe that I have done something stupid!

Cheers.

NickLocke, Jan 28, 2007
  10. NickLocke

Richo

Depends on the firewall software you are running. Some of the more sophisticated applications would have detected that the cgate.jar file was a new version and required re-authentication of the permissions to act as a server.

Richo, Jan 28, 2007
  11. NickLocke

NickLocke

Thanks Richo - There is no firewall on the server running C-Gate (it's nowhere near the Internet) and I have disabled the one on the machine running Toolkit.

Would the initial list of levels in the Groups display come from C-Gate in the same way as subsequent level changes? The initial list is correct!

Thanks

NickLocke, Jan 28, 2007
  12. NickLocke

Richo

The initial list comes through as part of the project info on the "commands" port. Subsequent changes come thorugh the "events" port. So the behaviour you are describing is consistent with either that port not workign for some reason or event logging not working in toolkit. As Duncan suggests check the application log (the tag update should work with this off, but worth checking) george posted a work around to get the preference set on a remote cgate connection.

Richo, Jan 28, 2007
  13. NickLocke

NickLocke

Unless I'm misunderstanding, I have done what George suggested - the preference was already set when I checked against a local C-Gate so, from what he says, it should be set for the remote one too.

Is there anything i can check in a log to see what's going on, either at the Toolkit or C-Gate end?

NickLocke, Jan 28, 2007
  14. NickLocke

george

Nick, I've just reproduced this problem. You can program units while being connected to a remote network, but no events are coming through for some reason.

(Defect #10336)

I will post here a reply once we know a workaround or have a fix.

Regards,
    George

george, Jan 28, 2007
  15. NickLocke

NickLocke

George,

Many thanks for the prompt reply. At least now I know I am not going [completely] mad!

From my point of view, no rush for a fix - I can just connect remotely to the box running C-Gate. Other people may be in more of a pickle.....

Thanks again, Nick.

NickLocke, Jan 29, 2007
  16. NickLocke

george

Hi Nick,

We fixed the problem and the soon coming service pack will have this fix included. Thank you for your help.

Regards,
    George

george, Jan 30, 2007
Ask a Question