Toolkit 1.12.0 and Windows 7 64-bit : Workaround

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by daniel, Jun 19, 2012.

1. daniel

daniel C-Busser Moderator

[UPDATE (8 Jan 2013): The problem described in this thread was fixed in Toolkit 1.12.2 and later, please use the most recent version of Toolkit]

Some users are having problems launching Toolkit on Windows 7 64-bit machines.

Until we can solve the problem, the workaround is as follows:

1. Download Java 6 update 32 64 bit:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/j...ownloads-javase6-419409.html#jre-6u32-oth-JPR

- Select the item "Windows x64 16.41 MB jre-6u32-windows-x64.exe"
    - You will need to create a free account on oracle.com to download

2. Run the Java 64-bit installer.

3. Run the Toolkit 1.12.0 installer. Elect not to install Java.

4. Go to the command prompt and type these two commands:

cd C:\Clipsal\C-Gate2

java -jar cgate.jar

5. Run C-Bus Toolkit

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
    daniel, Jun 19, 2012
  2. daniel

Dave Byron

Daniel
    Think this a better way, that version has security bugs and is not recommened for production. The windows java update and things like Firefox will complain.

This is what I did until Toolkit uses the current version;

1 Downloaded and installed the current 64 Bit version, and clicked the box saying deleted old version.
    http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

2 Unistalled Tooklkit and reinstalled it usining the Jave supplied in Toolkit.

so now only Toolkit using the version with security problems.

Dave

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2012
    Dave Byron, Jun 19, 2012
  3. daniel

wappinghigh

Is this for real?

It won't run on my 64bit machine either..

IS this for real? Come on! I mean CIS supposedly spent 2 year's developing this upgrade.

Software like this should just work.

Is what you telling us that you didn't run it on a Win7 64-bit machine before you released it onto the market?

This is BS :mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
    wappinghigh, Jul 10, 2012
  4. daniel

Dave Byron

As part of the testing group, I have running the new Toolkit and Piced om my
    windows 7 - sinnce it release, and 64 bit quad cpu hardware with no problems.
    Think it must be your PC

Dave

Dave Byron, Jul 10, 2012
  5. daniel

wappinghigh

There's nothing wrong with my PC

It's just a stock standard HP all in one TS. There is nothing weird, makeshift, put together, unusual or DIY about my PC!

The old toolkit worked just fine.

6. daniel

wappinghigh

^

Why should there be a need for a 'workaround'? It supposed to have been developed for years. It's the main interface from computer to a cbus system. Without this being 100% reliable, all else is pointless. You've simply got to get this right before release.

Is this some sort of joke?

7. daniel

wappinghigh

This is the error I'm getting

Error 22946

A required component of Toolkit, C Gate failed to start"

Dave Byron's "solution"didn't work for me...

So is my problem a Java one..?

8. daniel

wappinghigh

Lol!

Now the old toolkit 1.11 version just prior to the new release isn't working either. hahahahaha

Got luv toolkit hahahahha

CIS just cracks me up. "2 years in the making". Simple straight forward PC running Win7 64 bit. A Hewlett Packard. LOL!! First time I loaded the brand new "tried and tested 1.12.1" following all the prompts and the Full install, and it fails to work!!! LOL hahahahahahaha

Now I can't use it at all hahahahahahahahha

OMG....You guy's. LOL!! :D:D:D:D

9. daniel

ashleigh Moderator

Might I suggest you remove all the device drivers, java, toolkit, etc, and start again.

It is not unknown for windows PC's to have strange dependancies and/or applications that fail for unknown reasons. You are probably an unfortunate victim of this, and there are occasionally things which have no rational explanation (and I'm very well aware it should not be like this).

However, to try and help you along (bear in mind, this is NOT a process I have followed, it is a suggest of the type I frequently use when trying to solve other such issues with other vendors s/w - something I have been doing for many years):

- export your PICED and Toolkit projects to a known place, eg, a memory stick

- remove Toolkit, piced, cgate, java, and ALL device drivers that might have been installed (look VERY carefully through the Windows 7 remove programs list).

- after removal, reboot (DO THIS. DO NOT IGNORE THIS STEP)

- Go into c:\Clipsal, if it is still there, and delete everything that might be left (this is why you made those project backups).

- Check again in the control panel programs list, making sure device drivers, eg for USB/Serial are removed.

- Run services.msc, and in there check for anything to do with c-gate. If you don't find any entries - good. If you do, open the properties, find the path, then shut the service down, then open a windows explorer at that path and delete all the contents. This will probably be a cgate.jar and a few other files. YOU ARE UNLIKELY TO NEED THIS STEP.

- Re-install ONLY Toolkit, latest version. DO NOT install c-gate to run as a service.

- See then if Toolkit operates and cgate starts in a separate window. You MAY need to update java if this does not work properly.

IF CGATE DOES NOT START, then use Daniels instructions on manually starting it. Toolkit will need to be restarted in that case (if cgate did not start it will have barfed because cgate is not present for it to connect to).

If Toolkit runs OK, install the other applications you need.

IF cgate is running, and toolkit can't connect to it, then you probably have a windows firewall setting which is preventing them talking to each other. Disable windows firewall and see if it comes good. (Close cgate and toolkit, then run toolkit again to check after disabling firewall). If this fixes it then re-enable the firewall, and then check the window firewall rules VERY CAREFULLY to remove or change a rule which is blocking the communication.

----------

The applications (Tookit, etc) are all plain windows applications developed in a plain development environment to suit running on windows. There is nothing special or clever about any of it. It runs happily on windows 2000 and above, there is no special exploitation of features in windows 2000, xp, vista, or 7. The bitness of the OS does not matter either.

There are some occasional peculiarities that come up with device drivers, which have extensive testing on different operation systems to try and handle the various strange cases. The device drivers are supplied as parts of driver kits by the respective h/w vendors, and CIS merely provide the customisation of the vendor and product ID numbers. If there are device driver problems, CIS can't magically fix them - they exist in the vendors code.

------------

Now, I'm sure given your level of angst that the above will only serve to offend or at the very least fail to placate. Unfortunately, of the many users out there you seem to be suffering and others are not. Usually this points to something in your PC which is different to that of others. I'm sure you don't want to hear this. It's probably what's going on though.

Yours...
    A vendor of s/w who makes a few bob selling it and having to work through the multitude of hassles that come up when s/w ends up "in the wild". It makes life interesting.

ashleigh, Jul 10, 2012
  10. daniel

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi wappinghigh,

I'm really sorry to hear you've been having problems :(

Certainly we have many customers and employees successfully using the software on Windows 7.

However there is no question some users are encountering issues. We are still in the process of collecting information about these. I can only suggest that you (a) use the Report a Problem function built into Toolkit, and (b) contact Technical Support. The errors you mention are quite generic, and without more information and detailed logs we simply can't be sure of what the problem is or what solution might work for you.

We have a few changes under way that can resolve some of the issues, regretfully they need to go through the "machine" of implementation, testing and approval before they can be spit out as a public release.

daniel, Jul 13, 2012
  11. daniel

wappinghigh

Thanks Daniel

^. I really appreciated your post. Via help from a private message and the above post from Ashleigh and using your initial workaround, I am now running Toolkit on my Win7 64 bit machine (launching cGate manually as you describe)

I've got other issues connecting via USB (it's Com Port) to my PAC. Basically I can't "scan" for PCI's. The "scan" button is whited out. It won't let me scan. Even though I know the driver is fully installed and updated on COM port3. Toolkit, just doesn't seem to see the COM port

So I've been accessing my project via the WISER CNI.

Of course this is OK for basic cbus management, but not for PICED

I've always had trouble connecting toolkit via USB to my PAC. First with an XP machine, then with Vista. Now this new Win7 machine.

Anyway. I'd love to pour my heart and sole out to you guys, because I know you mean well, are probably financially hamstrung and are doing your best.

But I'll leave it be....

If you can help out on the COM port issue I'd appreciate it.

Should I start another thread, or will this be something else wrong with the new toolkit driver?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2012
    wappinghigh, Jul 14, 2012
  12. daniel

mdooher

Just a thought, I know you are having trouble with win7 64 bit..me too... but I had a lot of trouble with the USB in my PAC a year or so back. I must admit I probably smaked the keyboard more than once. As a last resort I got a replacemet PAC from the local rep. Turns out the USB port in my first one was faulty.

Not saying you dont have 64bit problems as well, but hey ...you never know

Another thing was the PAC was already at least 3 years old but clipsal replaced it no problem at all.

I have since got a couple of things from the rep for testing purposes and from what I hear from others my experience is quite normal.

Matthew

mdooher, Jul 16, 2012
  13. daniel

wappinghigh

Thanks for that

...mmm they swapped it over huh..?(even though it was well out of warranty)..

...Interesting info as well..

Cheers. :)

wappinghigh, Jul 16, 2012
  14. daniel

Control1718

Life good ... Now

Hey Guys

Brand new Dell 64 Bit just setting up today having same problems
    It seems to be (On mine anyway) the new Java Update
    Uninstalled everything incuding Java and am now using the version of Java that came on the Toolkit download and all is well in the world.... for now

this might help

Control1718, Jul 22, 2012
  15. daniel

Dave Byron

Hope you happy with a Java version thats included with Toolkit even though it has documented security flaws, (see the java web site) I use the latest version with no trouble on win7 64.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2012
    Dave Byron, Jul 22, 2012
  16. daniel

Dave Byron

Dave Byron, Aug 31, 2012
  17. daniel

ashleigh Moderator

Can't win Dave. Anybody who bundles Java ships out of date. That's why you have auto updates.

ashleigh, Sep 1, 2012
Ask a Question