tile heating

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by deanonz, Oct 2, 2008.

1. deanonz

deanonz

I have a customer who wants to control his undertile heating on a touch screen. He doesn`t want a thermostat in his bathroom. What control gear will I need to enable temp reading on touch screen.

deanonz, Oct 2, 2008
  2. deanonz

NickD Moderator

A few questions..

1) What temperature do you want to display? Floor? Room? Setpoint?
    2) What is controlling the underfloor heating?

Nick

NickD, Oct 2, 2008
  3. deanonz

deanonz

the floor temp is what they want to read and i want to know what i can control it with. The customer does want a wall mount thermostat with in floor probe ( which i usually use ) With the right input could a touch screen control this situation

deanonz, Oct 2, 2008
  4. deanonz

znelbok

I looked at this a while ago when I was building.

I planned to ditch the thermostat that it was supplied with and run it totally from a touchscreen. i was going to use my M1 alarm and a relay output (I think - too long a go to remember details)

The temp probe would have to come back to an input so the system could get the temp.

The thermostat only turns on and off the heating when required to keep the floor temp at the setpoint.

A c-bus thermostat may be the answer. I have no experience with them to comment on how well it will work with the system. I ran out of time and had to abandon the task. At least using a c-bus thermostat, you should get control from a touchscreen.

Mick

znelbok, Oct 3, 2008
  5. deanonz

NickD Moderator

I don't think a C-Bus thermostat will work here as there is no way to get the temperature of the slab into it (the only remote sensor it interfaces with is the C-Bus 5031RDTSL).

The only way I can think of to interface a third-party in-floor sensor to C-Bus would be using the General Input unit, which adds cost and complexity.

You would need to :

a) find an appropriate sensor
    b) interface it with the general input unit
    c) calibrate it
    d) set it up with the general input unit to broadcast temperature on the measurement application
    e)write some logic code to perform the thermostat function

Not exactly simple or cheap :(

Does it *need* a thermostat? ie could you just control the heating element on a timer/schedule or would it make the floor too hot? Would a sensor of the room temperature suffice?

Nick

NickD, Oct 3, 2008
  6. deanonz

______.

Why don't you put the thermostat in a cupboard so the client doesn't see it and the just have C-Bus turn the floor heat ON/OFF and leave the temp to the thermostat.

______., Oct 3, 2008
  7. deanonz

nickrusanov

make it simple

I would offer to use traditional warm floor controller with sensor, connected through C-Bus relay.

this way you get information about floor - if it's on-off, and you can control on-off for it.

temperature is controlled locally, because you do not want to get back to touchscreen is floor is too hot

nickrusanov, Oct 3, 2008
  8. deanonz

ICS-GS

its not too hard...

Correct, but if you have multiple zones (a Gen Input unit has 4ch) cost is not soo bad

they usually come with the element

as long as you know the scaling ie output from the sensor @ max and min temps that is not difficult

within +/- 1 degee is calibratd enough if your scaling is OK

not really you can send it to a group address

there are some pretty good examples in PICED

some of these guys sell the thermostats for $200+ each... so not too bad in comparison

generally, yes it does, as the floor will become 'hot' as compared to the 'space' in the room, controlling the ambient temp poroduces the same effect.

I have this accross 8 different zones in my place, it works beautifully, with the couour touch screen.

Cheers

Grant

ICS-GS, Oct 6, 2008
  9. deanonz

amberelectrics

I've done this on a wet underfloor system with in floor thermostats.

Basically the in floor probe feeds a GIU. Use a PAC or other logic unit to convert the input value.

I controlled mine from a DLT using a dimmer setting. Whilst this doesnt give an actual temperature, the client didnt mind this as the numerical value is not too important, its the feel that matters, the dimmer is either higher or lower. Gives an override facility for on/off too.

To calibrate I used an IR scanner to get an actual floor temp and then adjusted my offsets to match. You could use a thermometer if you like but I like toys LOL

amberelectrics, Oct 6, 2008
Ask a Question