Telephone Interface glitch?

Discussion in 'Telephone Interface (CBTI) and TICA' started by D-man, Jan 20, 2005.

1. D-man

D-man

I'm not sure if the difficulty I'm having relates to software or hardware... so I'm posting here in software anyway!

I have just configured my first telephone interface and the download to the device has been successful. I have been able to connect it and control group addresses on the network attached.

The problems I am having relate to the menu system and the tone commands.

1) after proceeding through a menu, the 9 (to return to previous menu) and the 0 (to return to the main menu) are not working. Nothing happens. I wait and there is silence on the line until I am forced to hang up and call back.

2) the local control command (default #3#) does not work. When picking up the local phone and hearing the click of the telephone interface I press #3# but there is response the shortly after the hang up tone is heard. I have tried a different phone (both standard Telstra touchphones - one with rubber buttons the other flat plastic style) and I have also tried changing the code to #3*. There is no answering maching connected.

Can anyone help. I've been on steep learning curve and time is running our - need to install it on the job for Friday!

With much appreciation for any input,

Dan.

D-man, Jan 20, 2005
  2. D-man

Richo

The cbti is connected direct to a Telstra line with no PABXs or similar? I know of no other report of this particular issue and it has me somewhat baffled.

We do know that there a re problem using the CBTI when dialing in using some mobile phones, are you using a mobile phone for your tests?

What port on the CBTI is you local phone connected to? Also make sure you wait for the CBTI to start listening before entering the code (about 8 seconds).

Richo, Jan 20, 2005
  3. D-man

ashleigh Moderator

Not sure about the 0 and 9 keys. Thats very odd. Are you dialling in from a mobile? We know some mobiles generate dodgy DTMF, and a fix is in progress at the moment. (Which a want to get finished in the next week or two.)

Make sure the Telstra line is connected to "Phone In" and the local phone is connected to "Primary Phone Out". It sounds like teaching you to suck eggs but we have done it often enough!! If you connect them the wrong way around, strange things will happen.

Make sure C-Bus is connected and powered up (and has a clock gen and burden). The CBTI will start without C-Bus connected but it will be very very slow to start. Hope to address this in a future firmware release, but its small priority compared to the mobile phones issue.

Are you in a normal Telstra exchange area, and connected using a standard Telstra copper line? Is there anything else odd about the line you are using (for example, do normal phones, dial-up modems, etc work OK on it?).

Are you close to, or veryt far away from, the exchange?

Do you get a normal dial tone when you pick up the local handset, or something else?

Is this a Telstra line, or is it from some other provider?

ashleigh, Jan 20, 2005
  4. D-man

D-man

Thanks

Thanks for the contributions guys...

I seem to have arrested the prolems. Mainly by trying the net from another location and phone system. Its unclear specifically what was the issue before as a number of factors changed, but at least I can feel confident that the system will work as intended on the job site.

Regards,

D-Man :)

D-man, Jan 21, 2005
Ask a Question