Switches enabled/disabled

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by doey, May 26, 2011.

1. doey

doey

Hi all

I am currently working on a job that requires local switches to be disabled when a weather station gives a signal. I have a bus coupler attached to the plc that gives the signal but I cannot figure out how to program the switch disable.

The wall switches that I am using are the 5031NL Clipsal 2000 series.

At first I assumed that I would be able to do it from each switch with a group address disable switch option. However it seems that the 2000's don't have that.

Now I am thinking that maybe the solution lies in a trigger or something along those lines.

Any help to get me on the right track would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

doey, May 26, 2011
  2. doey

Newman

Correct. 2000 series switches do not support the function to remotely disable the keypad over C-Bus. To get this feature you need a higher specification of switch, such as a Neo/Saturn/Reflection/DLT/30 Mech or Avanti.

To preserve the consistency of look with your other switches, and get this feature for the lowest cost, you can get the functionality you need by buying a C-Bus 30 Mech switch (unit type KEYEx) and fitting it to a blank 2000 series plate.

Out of interest, what is the reason for disabling the keypad in response to a signal from a weather station? Is it to prevent an awning opening in high wind, or a vergola operating when it's raining? Knowing the application may help in coming up with a solution that uses your existing hardware.

Newman, May 26, 2011
  3. doey

doey

Hi Newman

Thanks for the reply

The switches are controlling louvres. So when the weather station detects rain or high wind they automatically close and I need local control of the switches to be disabled so nobody opens them.

doey, May 26, 2011
  4. doey

Newman

What is the output unit you're using to control the louvres? Is it a Shutter Relay or is it a couple of regular relay channels, or something else?

Newman, May 26, 2011
  5. doey

doey

I am using shutter relays

doey, May 26, 2011
  6. doey

Newman

Do you have a unit on-site that has logic? If so, you could create a second group address, called something like "Louvres Logical" and assign that to the switch only. Then, in logic, use the TrackGroup function to link the state of this group to the main Louvres group address. When the special message is received from the weather station you could disable this logic module and send a command to the louvres to close.

Newman, May 26, 2011
  7. doey

Ashley

I think it was a bit remiss not putting output logic in the shutter relay. I had a similar situation where I wanted to stop multiple blinds closing when windows were open and had to write a pile of logic. Would have been so much simpler with an AND function in the shutter relay.

That said I think Newman's idea (which is basically the direction I went) is better than disabling the switch as you can still set your desired position for the shutter which is then just over-ridden by the weather station when necessary.

Ashley, May 27, 2011
  8. doey

ashleigh Moderator

There are (were) some very solid but not very obvious technical reasons why the shutter relay does not have output unit logic.

ashleigh, May 27, 2011
Ask a Question