Starting Cgate2 automatically (Toolkit)

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by JohnC, May 25, 2005.

1. JohnC

JohnC

Hi everyone

I have noticed on (our) computers that are upgraded from V2 to Toolkit - you have to "manually" start the Cgate2 Console. Of course, if no Cgate running you wait for ages while Toolkit atttempts then fails to open the server.

I do not think that this affects installs of Toolkit only..

Is there a menu setting, registry hack, or a command line change (I can make to Start Menu Shortcut) so I can get (my) Cgate2 to start automatically ? I found the preferences thingy to close Cgate when Toolkit closes, but not one to start Cgate...

Thanks, John

PS: I'm currently running Toolkit 1.1.5

JohnC, May 25, 2005
  2. JohnC

Newman

Toolkit automatically starts C-Gate when it loads. Suggest you install Toolkit 1.1.6 and try that but ever since Toolkit has been released it has always started C-Gate automatically.

Newman, May 25, 2005
  3. JohnC

Richo

Hi John,

What operating system are you using? We have had problems in the past getting the auto start of C-Gate working correctly in Windows 98/ME. I believe the problems have been resolved, this *may* be in C-Bus Toolkit 1.1.6, if not the next release should be more reliable in this area under Windows 98/ME.

If you are running Windows 2000/XP then it should work.

Richo, May 25, 2005
  4. JohnC

darrenblake

CGate auto start

I have seen this problem recently, were after downloading Toolkit 1.1.6, CGate would not start automatically. After some investigation, we found our firewall and security settings were preventing a component of the software from doanloading. Once we lowered our security settings on our server and tried downloading again, it all cam good

darrenblake, May 26, 2005
  5. JohnC

JohnC

Hi everyone,

I have tried on 2 different machines - the install on this machine is Toolkit 1.1.5 running XP SP2, and on the other is Toolkit 1.1.6 on 2K SP4. Note that BOTH machines already had V2 software loaded (with Cgate1) and then sometime afterwards they had Toolkit installed on them.

There is no problem with downloading Cgate2, in fact there wasn't a Cgate download anyway because the installs were from the "complete version" Toolkit zipfiles. There is NO problem starting or running Cgate2 by using Start > Clipsal > Cgate2 > Console. If I do that (manually) before opening Toolkit, everything works fine.

So from a user's (my) perspective, Toolkit is not issuing the command to start Cgate2, there appears to be no "attempt" made to start it.

There is no firewall running, and the problem occurs whether connected to Company Network, or as stand-alone Laptops.

However... perhaps since Cgate is a Java application, the XP SP2 security settings are stopping a Java Console being opened by script (Toolkit) but not blocking by a User (StartMenu) ? I checked the Windows Firewall and cGate and Java are both listed as exceptions to blocking incoming connections.

I've trawled the registry, and the paths to Cgate and Cgate2 seem to be correct within the resepective Cbus V2 and V3 keys. However, I am unaware *how* Toolkit actually starts Java & cgate.jar - I am guessing it makes some call to the OS that is getting blocked or lost...

I was hoping that someone here had already experienced this and solved it ???

Anyone got any ideas ?

Thanks again, John

[edited to correct some typos]

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2005
    JohnC, May 26, 2005
Ask a Question