Simple programming question

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by P2T, Sep 17, 2013.

1. P2T

P2T

Hi Guys,

I've done this before but for the life of me cannot remember how - we have a PIR in a dressing room that activates lighting; lady of the house wants a keypress to overide the motion sensor (and thus stop her getting plunged into darkness every 15 or so seconds). Is there an easy way to do this?

I'm thinking there is something in Toolkit that I am missing, or its just been too long between toolkit sessions.

Using the latest Toolkit (downloaded today).

Thanks in advance.

P2T, Sep 17, 2013
  2. P2T

Ashley

Create 2 group addresses e.g. "Dressing PIR" and "Dressing Switch". Assign the first to the PIR and the second to the switch. In the dimmer, select "Dressing PIR" for the channel and in the logic tab for that channel select "Dressing Switch". Then set MAX for dimmers and OR for relays. This way either the PIR or switch will turn the light on. I also set a long timer on the switch (short press on and short release timer with expiry function ramp off) to make sure no-one forgets to turn the switch off.

Ashley, Sep 17, 2013
    edmondschan likes this.
  3. P2T

Brendan Rogers

Hi P2T,

Another alternative is that you could create a new C-Bus Group Address, and instead of overriding the output from the PIR, you could enable/disable the PIR. This is set up using the "Sensor Enable/Disable" tab in Toolkit when programming the PIRs with recent firmware.

If the C-Bus wall switches that you are using support two-colour LEDs (usually orange or blue), then it can be helpful to make the colour of the key controlling the PIR enable different to that of the other keys directly controlling lights.

Brendan Rogers, Sep 18, 2013
  4. P2T

Ashley W

If I understand the OP's requirement correctly, which is for the light to stay on as long as the room is occupied, I would have though a real simple way is to set the PIR up as follows:

Daytime Movement:
    Short press retrigger timer
    Short release, long press, long release idle.

Night time movement:
    Short Press: Start
    Short release, long press, retrigger timer
    long relase idle.

Timer Key
    Set required time:
    Expiry function: Off key.

So what happens you walk in, it's dark so immediatly turns the light on, followed by starting the timer.

It's now light and movement is dedected so the timer starts again. So long as movement is detected, the light won't turn off so no need for an override.

Leave the room, no movement, timer expires, light turns off.

I do this very thing in my garage and on my deck and it seems to work fine. The trick though is to set the timer long enough that it will continue to detect movement, would have though a well placed PIR in an active dressing room would continue to detect movement at least once every 15 seconds or so, so should work just fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2013
    Ashley W, Sep 18, 2013
  5. P2T

Leigh

Leigh, Sep 19, 2013
Ask a Question