Serial/Com port conflict

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by wappinghigh, Dec 20, 2005.

1. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Hi. I have a new system installed that I was able to control reliably with an older Pentium PC... via a USB cable. I have since upgraded my PC to a brand new one and I am unable to connect this using Toolkit. I feel there is probably a com port conflict. All drivers etc seeem to be OK. This is proving very frustrating. :confused:

1/ Is there a help line I can use so someone can quickly get me going?
    2/ Surely Clipsal is aware of such serial/com port problems. I mean just the opening "connecting" page of toolkit indicates this. I have even seen my installer suffer with his notebook (and believe me, he is very experienced). I appreciate it is no doubt a Microsoft problem, but how about making it a little easier Guys (gals)!! ;)

wappinghigh, Dec 20, 2005
  2. wappinghigh

Duncan

Could you elaborate a little on exactly whats happening?

What sort of COM Port is it? USB, 9 Pin Serial, PCMCIA?

Duncan, Dec 20, 2005
  3. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Thanks for quick reply Duncan. USB plugged straight into one a new "PACU" I think it is a problem with software set up on new PC as the PACU and cbus unit has been recently interfacing just fine on the older PC and the installers notebook.

4. wappinghigh

Duncan

Are you plugging in the USB cable to the PAC before starting Toolkit?

Toolkit starts another program called C-Gate (you'll see a another window start after Toolkit starts, looks like a DOS session). Try closing both Toolkit and C-Gate, ensuring the PAC is plugged in and restarting Toolkit. The PAC appears as a COM Port.

This thread might help a bit : http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471&page=2&highlight=pac+pc+interface

Duncan, Dec 20, 2005
  5. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Thanks. I did this, also checked in Windows device manager: The PAC is set on COM port7, yet when I search the network using toolkit all COM ports (1,2 7) say PCI not in use. I didn't realise the PAC uses a "virtual" serial port. I have had previous trouble interfacing with other devices in my line of work that use "virtual" serial ports. I am not so sure this is a very stable interfacing platform. Are there any others....?

6. wappinghigh

Duncan

I'm not familiar with any part of the Toolkit software that reports a message "PCI not in use" (but I'm already forgetting bits of it :) ) is this really what its saying? can you check? Is it possibly saying "PCI not found"

Duncan, Dec 20, 2005
  7. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Sorry it's "PCI not found"....but this is fickle..sometimes it finds it, sometimes it doesn't. But even when it finds the com7....and I check the default com port is the same (ie com7), I still can't connect. Get error message "failed to identify network project name". Gee is wish clipsal had a version of toolkit and PICED for MAC! I never have this sort of connection nonscence with my MAC's! Ipod, cameras, networked gear, music server, sqeezebox, networked printer.....work and connect everytime!

8. wappinghigh

Duncan

Not sure whats going on.

When Toolkit says "PCI not found" it failed to find a CNI/PCI/PAC.

When Toolkit reports "Failed to identify project" it's found the PCI/CNI/PAC OK but it couldnt see a valid network on the other side..

Create a New Project in Toolkit by selecting "Add Project" from the Projects menu.. name your new project.. then when Toolkit offers to add a Network to this new Project answer "Yes" and create a Serial Network on COM7. Once Toolkit has created this Network press the "Open Network" button.. hopefully you'll see the Network go to "Open".. then select the "Units" node on the Tree (on the left) and hit the Scan button in the bottom half of the screen.

Duncan, Dec 20, 2005
  9. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

...Duncan. I did all this but the network didn't go to "open"....I still think there may a COM port conflict. I've seen this before when using a so called "USB" wireless modem on a notebook that was really a serial device working through a virtual serial port. (fyi it was a Telstra minimax)...What to try next?? :confused:

wappinghigh, Dec 21, 2005
  10. wappinghigh

Richo

Do you have problems talking ot the PAC unit using PICED?

Richo, Dec 21, 2005
  11. wappinghigh

wanricky

wanricky, Jan 16, 2006
Ask a Question