Security interface?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Bad Boy Bubby, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Bad Boy Bubby

Bad Boy Bubby

Got a job that will require interfacing C-bus to the home security, the security panal (to be fitted by security guy) has not been specified, what is my best option? What should i be recommending? any thoughts welcome :confused:

Bad Boy Bubby, Nov 10, 2004
  2. Bad Boy Bubby

ashleigh Moderator

The only totally integrated and C-Bus Enabled certified system is the Comfort.

Its possible to use an Inner Range Concept system if all you want is the alarm system to do some simple switching of lighting.

ashleigh, Nov 10, 2004
  3. Bad Boy Bubby

Wilko

The cheap way...

You can set up a low level interface if the security system has voltage free contact outputs that can be connected to a C-Bus auxiliary input. This will allow very basic functionality, eg turning certain lights on when an alarm is triggered.

Also, if the security system also has auxiliary inputs that can connect to C-Bus relay outputs, C-Bus could send commands to the security system.

I will reiterate that this is a very basic interfacing arrangement. Hardcore integrators might snort at it - but the reality is that it's quite effective and covers most requirements, especially in a domestic installation.

Your security guy will have no problem supplying a panel to do this. You could go with an Inner Range Concept, but in my opinion the extra cost isn't worth it. We were going to upgrade our Concept here in the office with a C-Bus interface, but it was much more economical to use the low level interface described above - we ran in a few figure8's and the job was done!

Wilko, Nov 10, 2004
  4. Bad Boy Bubby

UncleDick

You can set up a low level interface if the security system has voltage free contact outputs that can be connected to a C-Bus auxiliary input. This will allow very basic functionality, eg turning certain lights on when an alarm is triggered.

Peter does this also strech to a welcome home scene when the panal is dis-armed and lights off scene when the panel is armed (after the exit time)

UncleDick, Nov 10, 2004
  5. Bad Boy Bubby

Bad Boy Bubby

Good Question Uncle, how many different low level outputs (solid state or contact closure) will there be on a typical security panel.

Bad Boy Bubby, Nov 10, 2004
  6. Bad Boy Bubby

Wilko

As long as the security panel can be programmed to send the output when you want it to, I don't see why not. It would need a separate output for each scenario.

I wouldn't hazard a guess at that - there's so much different stuff available. I'd ask the security installer, he'll no doubt be fluent with a handful of different systems and one of them should fit the bill.

Wilko, Nov 10, 2004
  7. Bad Boy Bubby

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi
    I use a Genesis Panel with low level interface....Genesis has a 32 point open collecter output module which i have relays connected to , and these connect to two aux cbus input modules (8 inputs) to trigger cbus lighting at certain times of the day/night....works quite well
    Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Nov 10, 2004
  8. Bad Boy Bubby

Bad Boy Bubby

Thanks for the info guy's :)

Bad Boy Bubby, Nov 11, 2004
  9. Bad Boy Bubby

znelbok

using a low level interface is damn expensive - when a 12ch relay retails in the order of $1000.

Is the comfort available in Australia - any links

znelbok, Nov 11, 2004
  10. Bad Boy Bubby

Wilko

Hadn't considered that - I've always been fortunate enough to have spare channels. But if you had to buy new units, about $300 would get you a Bus Coupler & 2ch Relay. If this doesn't allow enough functionality then maybe a high level interface is the way to go.

Check out www.iqhome.com.au for Comfort stuff.

Wilko, Nov 11, 2004
  11. Bad Boy Bubby

Rossco

Try a Inner range Concept 4000 with a high level interface with c bus.
    It will give you easy control of cbus via area's, users, time zones, function zones, alarms, access control, remote control and also give cbus control over outputs, area's, doors, sirens and timzones.
    Another great function is the Inner Range serial GSM which will give you SMS control over all of the above functions.
    We have been using the panel with cbus for a few years and haven't found a function that we haven't been able to achieve.

Rossco, Nov 11, 2004
  12. Bad Boy Bubby

Bad Boy Bubby

Thanks for the advice Rossco, in this instance I may be limited by the skills and wishes of the security guy, while I have done quite a few C-bus installs this in the first where security is part of the picture. How many domestic C-bus installs would have some level of interface with C-bus?

Bad Boy Bubby, Nov 11, 2004
  13. Bad Boy Bubby

Rossco

Bad Boy Bubby
    90% of our installs, interface to security and other devices.
    It really depends on who is designing the project from the start.
    For small domestic jobs a cbus coupler and inputs/outputs from the security panel work fine.
    If you use a coupler make shaw the security outputs are relays or put relays between the panel and the coupler for isolation.

Rossco, Nov 12, 2004
  14. Bad Boy Bubby

rune

Maybe I'm missing something here, but Clipsal provides two security systems that are integrated with C-Bus on a high (more than bus-coupler) level. So Comfort or Inner Range are not your only options.

The first one is the HomeMinder, which comes with the C-Bus interface integrated. The bad news being that the product is nearing its end of life as I understand it. More on the HomeMinder at www.clipsal.com/cis

The second is the new MinderPro where the C-Bus interface is an optional addon. Info on MinderPro is available at www.clipsalsecurity.com/main.asp

Rune

rune, Nov 12, 2004
  15. Bad Boy Bubby

ashleigh Moderator

MinderPro is a name that is not used in Australia.

In Australia it is the Comfort system (they are the same thing).

ashleigh, Nov 13, 2004
  16. Bad Boy Bubby

znelbok

the problem with using spare channels is that the functionality (lighting, control etc) is assigned to the whole unit, thus making the use of some channels for security a little less desirable.

znelbok, Nov 13, 2004
  17. Bad Boy Bubby

rune

Ohhhh :rolleyes: sorry about that... You see in the UK there is a security system (not by Clipsal) called Comfort that also has a C-Bus interface :)

Rune

rune, Nov 25, 2004
Ask a Question