Security App

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Dave Byron, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Dave Byron

Dave Byron

Security Application
    If I add a new Security Application (208) and 4 groups in that app, these are going to be used as status feedbacks from a security system into a bus coupler and onto Cbus.
    When I activate the BC unit menu ? configure the 4 channels and saved to database, toolkit shows the channels configured OK.
    But now if I reactivate the BC unit menu all channels show ?unused?, why ???

dave

Dave Byron, Mar 9, 2005
  2. Dave Byron

Duncan

Hi Dave,

That's by design, but not a very good one :D

More will become clearer as Toolkit progresses.. but suffice to say at this point that the Security Application does NOT have Groups.. its purely a messaging Application with events like

• "Exit Delay Started"
    • "System Disarmed"
    • "Entry Delay Started"
    • "Alarm On"
    • "Alarm Off"
    • "Panic Activated"
    • "Low Battery Detected"
    • etc..

And commands like:

• "Arm System"
    • "Raise Tamper"
    • "Raise Alarm"
    • "Display Message"
    • etc..

As Toolkit matures you'll be able to make more and more use of these Applications and, depending on the units, you'll be able to send and react to Security Messages, just as you send Lighting commands from current Key Units and react to Lighting Commands on current output units.

This will be especially true if you have a C-Bus Enabled Alarm System.. a few company names are mentioned at http://www.cbus-enabled.com/partners.htm

However, in the meantime, if you're trying (and we dont recommend you do) to implement an alarm system using C-Bus Hardware (such as Bus Couplers), I'd be selecting one of the applications in the Lighting Range (ie. 48-94) to host it on.

Hope this helps Dave, please let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2005
    Duncan, Mar 9, 2005
  3. Dave Byron

ashleigh Moderator

Please don't put a BC into the security application.

Its for use by security systems.

The Comfort system supports it, the upcoming new HomeSafe will also. And the revamped cbus telephone interface (5100TAU) will announce security events when I get the #$%# firmware update done.

Conventional units will be able to be used on the security application to ARM a system, but thats about all.

Toolkit will get quite narky in future releases to prevent invalid setup, but there is only so much we can do at an initial release.

Please keep conventional units at application addresses LESS than 128.

ashleigh, Mar 9, 2005
  4. Dave Byron

ashleigh Moderator

Actually - a more important point.

C-Bus is not a security network. You should not be using C-Bus as a securtity system. There is no battery backup or tamper detection in C-Bus.

The purpose of the C-Bus security application is the control and monitoring of a (dedicated) security system.

ashleigh, Mar 9, 2005
  5. Dave Byron

brett_lynn

Further to the above point...

C-Bus DOES NOT HAVE A "SECURITY RATING / CLASSIFICATION" FROM ANY INSURANCE COMPANY (apps for caps)

This is a VERY grey area where as an Insurance company MAY be able to DENY ANY CLAIM MADE where you are using cbus as an "Alarm"

brett_lynn, Mar 10, 2005
  6. Dave Byron

ashleigh Moderator

Yes, totally agree. C-Bus is explicitly recommended NOT to be used as a stand-alone security system.

Its not mandatory (in Australia) for a security system to comply with AS 2201, but try and choose one that does, or that at least has a stated degree of compliance.

ashleigh, Mar 10, 2005
  7. Dave Byron

Dave Byron

Security

I not using cbus as the alarm system just getting status outputs from the standalone security system and display status on a ctouch screen ( a padlock).
    If cbus went away the security system would still function.

dave

Dave Byron, Mar 10, 2005
  8. Dave Byron

ashleigh Moderator

OK, if you are doing that, fine, but use a lighting application (please).

ashleigh, Mar 11, 2005
Ask a Question