Remote Connection to TICA

Discussion in 'Telephone Interface (CBTI) and TICA' started by filpee, Jul 3, 2007.

1. filpee

Richo

Actually, that method relies on the data signal still, without that I'm not sure you will be able to get access for reprogramming. hmmm....

Richo, Mar 18, 2008
  2. filpee

Woody

Richo, Thanks for the help. Well I've had the Telstra tech out again today. No such luck in fixing the problem. To add insult to injury, while replying to the forum I have had an SMS from Telstra stating that the problem has been resolved. What the!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway

Duncan I have tried 2 x laptops & 1 x PC all with the same result.

Richo,
    Tried connecting using Hyperterminal, When dialing out CBTI answers (hearing annoucment) after unit times out NO CARRIER is displayed we don't seem to get the Welcome to CBUS prompt.

Telstra has asked the question, does the CBTI work through a pair gain system. (I personaly think it does, as I have successfully connected through one at a differant location.)

I think I have hit the end of the road Telstra have thrown there hands in the air.

Just to through something else in the mix the line we are dialing out on also has a fax issue. We can't send faxes but can recieve them. Telstra seem to be also calling this a pair gain problem. Because we can send on our other line which has ADSL on it. Problem is we can't connect to CBTI on either line.
    Could any of this be related to the same problem.

I hate to bag Telstra but they have basicly said that the problem lies in the private equipment. (I think this only due to the fact they are stumped)

Once again thanks for all the help. A carton would be coming your way if I could just work out how to ram it down the line.

Cheers Shane

Woody, Mar 18, 2008
  3. filpee

Woody

Guess who feels like a complete TWAT
    That would be me.

I've just gone in to check my modem settings again & low and behold, the port is set to 115200.

Changed it to 9600 & dials through perfectly.

Seems like the fax had exactly the same issue.
    Lowered the speed the fax transmits & how about that, the fax now works as well.

Maybe the ram8 pair gain system can't handle faster speeds.

The only catch I did find is when the laptop reboots it resets the modem to
    115200. Reloaded XP & now will stay at 9600.

Happy Days

Thanks again guys for all your help
    MUCH APPRECIATED.

:D :D :D :D

Woody, Mar 18, 2008
  4. filpee

Richo

Awesome that it is working. There is probably an AT command you can add to the init string to force the modem to 9600!

Richo, Mar 18, 2008
  5. filpee

ashleigh Moderator

Very please to hear its OK.

Pair gain systems are NOTORIOUS for cutting the speed of modems... often to 38400 bps or less. (It's only by rumour and innuendo, but getting the old 56K dial up modems to connect at > about 40K on a pair gain seems to be a big ask).

ashleigh, Mar 18, 2008
  6. filpee

Darpa

Due to a whole host of reasons, due to the way that Pair Gain works, it's not technically possible to get a Dial-Up modem to connect through it at anywhere near the theoratical maximum, most times 56K modems will fall back to 33.6K or 38.4K when connecting through a Pair Gain line.

However I'm still surprised that dropping XP's settings from 115200 to 9600 solved the problem, as that particular setting in XP is more to do with the speed with which the OS (XP) connects to the modem, not the outside line.
    Also, forcing your modem to connect at such a low speed is pretty much guaranteed to cancel out most of the problems that Pair Gain introduces, as well as (possibly) mitigating any interference that MIGHT be on your line, as long as any interference isn't too severe.

That said, congratulations on fixing the problem Woody :) I'm glad that it was something so simple, even if it has taken alot of pain to get to this point. Congratulations on your ingenuity :)

Darpa

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2008
    Darpa, Mar 19, 2008
  7. filpee

Woody

Sorry guys the party didn't even last 24hrs
    The slowing down of the connection speed has definately made a differance too our fax line. The connection on my local Cbus install (Home) Definately made a differance. eg. dialing out on one line and coming back in another.

BUT still having the same connection problem at a remote install.
    I droped the connection speed one at a time down the scale until I reached 300. noticed no change along the way.

Thinking of taking my personal CBTI out of home & installing at this other job, changing no settings but the Network connecting too. Hopefully this will rule out the hardware.

I think we are on the right track with the speed thing.

Mainly due to the fact I could never localy connect at home either but since dropping the speed connects every time.

Does all this seem like the right course of action.

Sorry to be a pain.

Shane

Woody, Mar 19, 2008
  8. filpee

Darpa

Hi Woody,

Sounds like you're on the right path, however I'd suggest just one change to your plan of things.
    The settings that you're changing for the speed of connection, are you changing those in the COM (serial) port settings? or are you changing them in the modem's settings?

Either way, it would be smarter to use the modem initialisation strings to force your modem to connect at a lower speed than relying on the windows settings.

I'm pretty sure Richo mentioned in an earlier thread how to limit the speed of your connection this way.

Also, you dont have to manually type in these init strings each time you want to connect, in the modem properties in windows, there is a section where you can type in all the init strings you want windows to pass to the modem before, during, or after dialling.

Good luck with the swap-over at your customer's premises, I hope it solves the problem.

Darpa

Darpa, Mar 20, 2008
  9. filpee

Richo

I said it was possible, I didn't offer any samples of AT codes. You should check the specs for the modem you are using.

Unfortunately settings the values in Windows is of little help. The modem dial code is in C-Gate and does not use the windows API it manually handles the modem itself.

You must set the AT commands in the Network properties in Toolkit.

Richo, Mar 20, 2008
  10. filpee

Darpa

My Bad,

I didnt realise that C-Gate took care of dialing the connection :eek:

Darpa, Mar 20, 2008
Ask a Question