Random PIR Behaviour

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by ado_civon, Jun 18, 2009.

1. ado_civon

ado_civon

Not sure if toolkit or PIR related:

I have two PIR's.
    PIR 1 links to a group D1_1 (Dimmer 1, ch1)
    PIR 2 links to two groups D1_2 (Dimmer 1, ch2) and R1_1 (Relay 1, ch1)

Both PIR's have a manually adjustable light sensitivity that works ok on both.

PIR 2 has every aspect of it disabled besides D1_2 & R1_1 on Night Movement, the adjustment was made under the 'Blocks' tab. This PIR works fine.

PIR 1 on the other hand behaves different.
    If i was to set two groups on PIR 1 to perform a Night Movement action, it does NOT trigger.
    If i set PIR 1 to only one group (namely D1_1) under Night Movement action, it does NOT trigger.

I got it working by setting D1_1 to both Day & Night Movement, and it seems to only trigger when the light sensitivity is below the manually adjusted amount.

What could be the go with this?

PS: About the previous post on Firmware mismatch between PIR's and the software not being able to work with them, these PIR's in question use 1.2.67 (the newer version FW).

ado_civon, Jun 18, 2009
  2. ado_civon

Newman

This is how the PIRs are designed to operate, and it is the whole purpose of the light sensitivity adjustment. By default, movement being detected when the light level is below the threshold will turn a Group(s) on and subsequent movement will keep it on. If movement is detected when the light level is above the threshold then it won't turn the light on, but it will keep it on if movement continues to be detected.

To put it another way, the Motion in Light (ML) event is used when the light level is above the threshold and the Motion in Dark (MD) event is used when the light level is below the threshold. To see what the functions will do, look on the Functions tab. To assign more than 1 group to the event, use the Blocks tab.

If you require the unit to turn on the group, regardless of the light level, then just wind the light level threshold pot to one end of it's travel so that the unit always measures the ambient light level to be below the threshold.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2009
    Newman, Jun 19, 2009
  3. ado_civon

ado_civon

I am aware of this thats where the inconsistency occurs with the two PIR's.
    Maybe I haven't fully understood your response or you haven't understood my problem.

PIR 2 works on the principle that you described and it works fine. I've only set MD and the two groups in the Blocks tab.

PIR 1 on the other hand doesn't like multiple groups set in the blocks tab AND it does not work in night motion unless I set both ML & MD.

Hopefully this clarifies the issue I'm having.

ado_civon, Jun 19, 2009
  4. ado_civon

Newman

Have you tried doing a unit Reset and then re-entering your groups and Blocks tab information?

Perhaps screenshots of your configuration would be useful.

Newman, Jun 19, 2009
  5. ado_civon

ado_civon

Yeah I think screenshots would be much better :)
    I did reset the device, I actually reset the network numerous times, this was the whole reason I had to go from version 1.10.4 to 1.7 because in 1.10.4 nothing seemed to have worked.

I haven't got this type of issue with another network I've done so it puzzles me as well. At the moment the PIR's work but something doesn't seem right.

If you don't mind, check back on Monday and I will have some screens posted.

ado_civon, Jun 19, 2009
  6. ado_civon

ado_civon

screenshot attached.

Note the setup difference in setup for LI & DA.
    they both work but PIR 1 would not work if i set it exactly the same as PIR 2 for some reason.

Attached Files:

ado_civon, Jun 20, 2009
  7. ado_civon

Newman

It might be related to the Sensor Enable/Disable group. Try making the Sensor Enable Group unused and seeing if that works for you.

Newman, Jun 22, 2009
  8. ado_civon

ado_civon

yeah, i did that too no difference

ado_civon, Jun 22, 2009
  9. ado_civon

Newman

From here, your best bet will be to talk to Tech Support. They'll be able to go through a bunch of things much faster than on the forums.

Newman, Jun 23, 2009
  10. ado_civon

ado_civon

Not sure if this helps but since the start of the project I noticed something was up with the Dimmer(s)

Its particularly regarding the Burden setting.

One dimmer has the burden setting disabled and another has it enabled.
    I've had it enabled but the system seamed to misbehave and react in random unexpected manner.

I've used a voltage/burden test device and that came up fine but until i put in a hardware burden the system behaved bad.

So there could be an underlying problem with the dimmer(s) or something else in the system, I'm sure the wiring is correct as it wasn't the only cbus system we've done.

I think I'll need to contact tech support but oddly the current state of the system seems stable even though I've had to tweak the PIR's to work.

Thank you anyway, I'll update the status once I get in contact with technical support.

ado_civon, Jun 23, 2009
Ask a Question