Quick question re CGATE licensing...

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by pgordon, May 9, 2006.

1. pgordon

pgordon

I have CGATE installed on a couple of different machines, and on some of them it starts up with this license message:

Clipsal C-Gate(TM) v2.5.8 (build 2108)
    License file found:
    Customer Name: PUBLIC
    License type: PUBLIC
    Network licenses: 2
    Expiry: 31 December 2099
    Total network licenses: 2

Whereas on others, it starts up with:

Clipsal C-Gate(TM) v2.5.8 (build 2108)
    Hardware key: Key initialize failed (DRIVER NOT INSTALLED)
    License file found:
    Customer Name: PUBLIC
    License type: PUBLIC
    Network licenses: 2
    Expiry: 31 December 2099
    Total network licenses: 2

Either way it works just fine, but I'm curious as to how/why the difference, as I believe I installed toolkit/cgate pretty much the same way in all cases...

Anyone got any light to shed on this?

Paul G.

pgordon, May 9, 2006
  2. pgordon

Nobes

On the first instance, do you have a hardware dongle plugged into the printer port. (i.e. for multiple s+ licences?)

This may explain the licence file found?

Nobes, May 10, 2006
  3. pgordon

Richo

the line " Hardware key: Key initialize failed (DRIVER NOT INSTALLED)" simply means that the driver for recognising hardware license keys is not installed. This is normal in 99% of cgate installs. You only need to install the driver when you have purchased a seperate c-gate license for x number of networks and that license requires a hardware dongle.

Richo, May 10, 2006
  4. pgordon

pgordon

Thanks guys.

yeah, - I'm not worried about it...

I don't possess a hardware dongle, so I only ever get the standard 2 network licenses...

Thing is, I didn't knowingly install the hardware driver on the machine that appears to have it.. - does it get installed as part of any other software installs? - or would I had *had* to have explicitly installed the driver seperately?.. - I guess it's quite possible that I installed it without knowing what it was!!

Paul G.

pgordon, May 10, 2006
  5. pgordon

Richo

The dongle is a third-party provided technology and is widely used by other software products. If you didn't explicitly install it there is a chance that some other software you have installed, or installed in the past, installed the driver.

I believe some earlier versions of the cgate installer (1.5 and earlier) may have installed the driver, so if you used that then that could explain the driver being present as well.

Richo, May 11, 2006
  6. pgordon

PSC

That's right Richo, earlier versions of C-Gate did install the dongle driver.

PSC, May 11, 2006
Ask a Question