Problems with PAC as PCI

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by jasonwall, Apr 25, 2014.

1. jasonwall

jasonwall

Hi.

I have a PAC that I am trying to use as a PCI on a couple of different computers. I have tried a Win7 64 bit system, Win8 64 bit laptop and a windows XP system that is running on a virtual system on the win8 laptop.
    I keep getting the error stating: Error 23108 "Failed to open the network. The network port could not be opened."

I have run the diagnostics utility and attempted to repair PCI with bad baud rate and this hasn't changed anything, but with the utility and this PAC I can actually connect to cbus and send commands on the cbus network to turn channels on and off.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I may be able to try to get this PAC working as a PCI again? I have seen other threads of people replacing the PACs to get this functionality back, but hopefully there is something else that can be done first! I just find it strange that you can connect to the cbus network with the diagnostics utility but not via toolkit with this unit...

Thanks!

jasonwall, Apr 25, 2014
  2. jasonwall

Charlie Crackle

if it is a very old one try powering off the CBUS and then on again.

either unplug the pink cable or power down the cbus circuits that have the cbus power supplies.

I have hand to do this in the past to get PCI functionality to work if it has not been used for a long time.

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Apr 25, 2014
  3. jasonwall

DarylMc

Hello Jason

If Charles suggestion doesn't help

Toolkit Version 1.13.0 seems to work nice with the PACA as a USB PC interface on my Windows7 64 bit PC.
    The required USB drivers are installed when you install CBus Toolkit.

With the PACA USB cable and CBus connected check Windows Device Manager to see that the PACA is showing up with drivers installed.
    Check that you have 2 solid orange indicators on the PACA.
    http://www2.clipsal.com/cis/__data/...ion Controller Installation Instructions2.pdf

In Toolkit open "Find CBus Networks" then "Set Default Interface".
    Select the correct com port from the list.
    Then "Scan Default Interface".

Maybe also try disabling your firewall in case that is causing problems.

DarylMc, Apr 25, 2014
  4. jasonwall

jasonwall

Thanks for your replies so far! This PAC is a second hand unit that I got a hold of, so I have no idea if it's a problem that the previous owner also had or not.
    I have unplugged and replugged the unit into the cbus network a number of times with no joy there...
    I have also had a look in device manager and it shows up with no exclamation mark (drivers installed properly) and is showing up as a silicon labs CP210x device.
    I have tried firewall both on and off and this doesn't solve my issue.
    Within PICED I have both reinstalled the newest firmware and reset the device using the recover PAC option and reinstalling firmware and uploading the configuration file again.
    I have used the search for networks function in toolkit and the com port that this PAC is set up on (com10) comes up as no PCI found.
    In regards to the LEDs, the cbus and comms leds light up solid, unless it's doing something then the comms led flashes. The status light flashes quickly as in slightly faster the 1Hz.

If there are no other suggestions for making the PCI part of this unit work again then I will probably just have to buy an actual PCI to sit on this network.

Thanks,

Jason.

jasonwall, Apr 27, 2014
  5. jasonwall

DarylMc

Hello Jason
    That doesn't sound quite right.
    Here is a picture from my device manager.

Attached Files:

DarylMc, Apr 27, 2014
  6. jasonwall

DarylMc

I haven't used the PACA as a network interface much in the past but I have been using it recently as a USB interface to CBus.

DarylMc, Apr 27, 2014
  7. jasonwall

jasonwall

The unit is being connected via a USB cable direct to each computer I have used to test and each one shows up as the silicon drivers and not the PACA drivers. I don't know if these earlier devices used a different USB chipset in them than the later ones or what, but I have also tried to manually install the clipsal PACA drivers but my machines only put this unit against the silicon drivers...

jasonwall, Apr 28, 2014
  8. jasonwall

DarylMc

Hi Jason
    My PACA is from around year 2006 blue and white CBus2.

Maybe someone else will have some more experience as to whether there are different versions.

I don't know if this will help but if I had the wrong driver for a device, I would delete the device and driver from device manager and try to reinstall.

For me the drivers install fine with Toolkit 1.13.0 install.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2014
    DarylMc, Apr 28, 2014
  9. jasonwall

jasonwall

Looks like I may have a dodgy unit for whatever reason. I have tried reinstalling the drivers and toolkit. I have also tried running the 64 bit driver installer and the EULA text doesn't show up so there is nothing to accept and it won't continue, even after transferring this folder to the c:/program files folder.

I suppose my last hope with this unit might be to change settings in cbus diagnostics utility, but I don't know what this unit is supposed to be set to!

Anyway, I think I'll just buy a pci for now and be done with it.

Thanks heaps for all your suggestions guys.

jasonwall, Apr 30, 2014
  10. jasonwall

DarylMc

Hi Jason
    My mistake.
    I did not try it past the EULA.

DarylMc, Apr 30, 2014
Ask a Question