preferred cbus network - pc connection

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by manny, Oct 2, 2022.

1. manny

manny

Hi, I had my cbus network talking to toolkit years ago to commission and finetune the programming on my home cbus.
    it was via a prolific usb-serial adapter and an ethernet cable,( using a mac computer running windows vista i think it was.)
    it worked fine.however i have not had this setup in years and now want to add a motion detector to my network and have to set up my new pc and connection all over again.
    what is the preferred way to connect these days.
    I tried the old cable but got got a PL2303HXA phased out error.
    its the prolific chipset which seems problematic. i think i read somewhere that the fdti chipset adapter is the way to go. but is there a much easier way than running adapters? new cbus interface module?
    any info would be appreciated.
    Manny

manny, Oct 2, 2022
  2. manny

Ashley

You weren't using a usb-serial adapter with an ethernet cable. That makes no sense. I assume by the ethernet cable you meant a cbus network cable connection from the PCI to the network.

You can get a CNI which gives you a direct ethernet connecton to the cbus network. Also a PCI that has a usb interface is available. Finally a Wiser or SHAC includes a CNI along with lots of other added functionality.

Otherwise just get a modern usb-serial adapter and use it with your current PCI. This works fine.

Ashley, Oct 2, 2022
    manny likes this.
  3. manny

manny

thanks ashley, ill elaborate on my connection. i had a serial to rj45 adapter on the cbus interface. then a cat5 cable running to my pc , with a rj45 to serial connector and serial to usb adaptor into pc.
    i might give my local clipsal wholesaler a call today and see what wiser is all about.

manny, Oct 2, 2022
  4. manny

Ashley

THat's fine. It was the ethernet description that didn't make sense. When you have cbus, ethernet and serial cables all using cat5, people can get very confused and mixing them up doesn't end well :)

There's nothing wrong using a serial PCI via a USB to serial converter. We do it all the time. Just get a named brand usb-serial converter, not an ebay/aliexpress one.

Ashley, Oct 3, 2022
  5. manny

manny

update*
    ordered and received an FDTI chip usb rs232 adapter from element14.
    plugged in, dowloaded drivers, and it worked straighaway.

manny, Oct 19, 2022
    Conformist likes this.
  6. manny

Wayneji

Hi, I have an account with Element 14, could you please tell me the part number of the rs232 adapter
    Thanks
    Wayne

Wayneji, Nov 8, 2022
  7. manny

Conformist

Part No FTDI UC232R-10

Conformist, Nov 8, 2022
    manny likes this.
  8. manny

manny

I bought 2,
    -UT232R-500