PCI SmartMode and CGate

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by cueman, Jan 17, 2005.

1. cueman

cueman

I've just installed a CBus module ("UCM/C-Bus") into my Comfort alarm system (http://www.cytech-technology.com/). The documentation for Comfort says:

"At reset the UCM/C-Bus issues a Status request command to the CBus
    and receives the Status Reply, which reports the state of all
    Lighting Application Group addresses, which Group Addresses are
    unused, off, or their level if they are used. Then it sets Smart Mode on
    the PC Interface which causes it to report changes of group address
    levels."

After connecting this to CBus, I find that CGate doesn't work quite right. CGate can send commands to the CBus network, and it can tell me what levels for each group address are, but it does not notice any subsequent level changes unless they are initiated by CGate. So, for example, if I turn a light on using a light switch, CGate still thinks the light is off.

What is this PCI Smart mode, and is this incompatible with CGate operation? Can I get comfort and CGate to play nicely together? Is there any further investigation I could do that would help work out what's going on?

I'm using Toolkit 1.1.4 and the version of cgate that includes.

Thanks,
    Paul

cueman, Jan 17, 2005
  2. cueman

Duncan

Hi Paul,

How are you determining that CGate doesnt get it right, is it the Groups display in Toolkit or are you plugging commands directly into CGate to get them?

Duncan, Jan 17, 2005
  3. cueman

Darren Senior Member

The PCI "Smart Mode" is just one of several modes of operation for the PCI chip in the C-Bus SIM used in the Comfort alarm system. It only affects the operation of the C-Bus SIM (and hence the Comfort alarm system), and in no way affects any other devices on a C-Bus network.

Have you checked the burden on the SIM ?

Try running the C-Bus Diagnostic Software (http://www.clipsal.com/cis/downloads.php3#Diag) on your computer to see whether you get the same problem you are seeing with using C-Gate.

Darren, Jan 17, 2005
  4. cueman

cueman

I've been using CGate directly - with linux scripts and a web server interface to it. All was working perfectly until the comfort connection.

Anyway, I've got it working now...I guess comfort did something to the PCI that disrupted the cgate that was running - once I restarted cgate, it all works properly.

Sorry for the false alarm!

BTW I like the diagnostic software, only I can't run it at the same time as cgate/toolkit because they both want to talk to the PCI. Any chance of this being included in Toolkit?

Thanks,
    Paul

cueman, Jan 18, 2005
  5. cueman

Duncan

We were only discussing this yesterday :) Yes there's a good chance it'll become part of Toolkit. It does cause the PCI to be driven quite hard so potentially the functionality of Toolkit may be restricted whilst performance monitoring is taking place.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2005
    Duncan, Jan 18, 2005
  6. cueman

Duncan

Paul,

Just one more quick note.. we still havent certified CGate2 for Control use yet.. just programming of Networks.

Duncan, Jan 18, 2005
  7. cueman

cueman

I'm only using cgate2 for get/set/ramp commands around my home. What's the worst that can happen?

cueman, Jan 18, 2005
  8. cueman

Richo

CGate may not work correctly. The effect this has is dependant on what you are trying to do on the network I suppose.

However, in saying that, we believe C-gate will work correctly for most installations. We are however still verifying its correct operation for:
    A) Use in very large installations.
    B) Interaction with legacy applications (built for 1.5)
    C) Interaction with new features of updated software (Homegate, Schedule +)

As you can imagine this is an involved process and the limitation of use is placed for the protection of our integrators and installers. In you own house I would imagine you aren't going to suffer liquidated damages if you fail to get the dunny light working correctly.

Richo, Jan 18, 2005
Ask a Question