On board logic on relays and dimmers

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by dodge1, May 12, 2012.

1. dodge1

dodge1

Are there any plans to increase the # of logic channels on the 12 Channel relays and 8ch dimmers? This could be very useful. Would this be a firmware upgrade to the modules? I have run into many instances were we run out of on board logic and while we I can put the overflow on to touch screen or PAC or Schedule Plus on PC the system functions more reliably and has quicker response than using these methods and if Ethernet works go down say with Schedule Plus method the room controls would still work.

Thanks

dodge1, May 12, 2012
  2. dodge1

NickD Moderator

There are no plans to do this.

We are always interested to hear usage scenarios like this in case there are ways people are using the product that we may not have considered.

Can you give us some more details of what you are doing (or trying to do)?

Nick

NickD, May 14, 2012
  3. dodge1

Don

I'm not aware of any plans to increase the number of logic channels on these products.
    It would require a firmware upgrade, and is easily within the capability for future units. Of course this would affect the appearance of Toolkit so would take a bit of planning.
    This is the first time I've heard someone ask for it.

When C-Bus was first introduced, the relay units were limited to four channels, and two additional channels were provided for 'logic'. ANY channel combination could be combined with logic.
    Feedback from the market told us that logic was desired, but there was no requirement to allow multiple relay combinations, so we adopted 4 channels of logic, which could be combined with each relay to determine the relay state (since relays and logic channels can be assigned to the same group, this still allows combinations with other relays).

It's been this way for a long time, so we have had no pressure to increase the number of logic channels.

These forums are not the best place to lodge requests for new features (but we sure appreciate you letting us know).
    While some of the relevant people do follow the forums regularly, if you seriously want Clipsal to introduce this new feature, you can increase the likelihood by putting the suggestion to the sales team.

Don, May 14, 2012
  4. dodge1

dodge1

I have done a screen shot of one of the relays that I have run out of logic channels. You will see that I have not covered all the relay channels so I had to put the remaining channels logic in Schedule +. I understand this is not the place to lodge formal requests. I was just wondering what the possibilities were.
    No reason to take something to the sales team if it really is not in the cards. This is a common setup here and 12Ch relays are used more often than 4ch because of space and cost.

Thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

dodge1, May 14, 2012
  5. dodge1

DonB

Can we try get to the what rather than the how.

Hi Dodge1, would it be possible to spell out the application or function you are needing to achieve. Even though it looks like basic occupancy or vacancy detection there could be something beyond what the screen grab provides? The reason I ask is that we may be able to suggest a different approach. Could you also add the Toolkit cbz file for the project as it will also help in gaining a better understanding.

Thanks
    Don B :)

DonB, Jun 19, 2012
  6. dodge1

znelbok

I too would like to see more logic channles. I have run out on some of my units as well. I dont have PAC to fall back to so it means I have to go without in some cases.

It can make for a tidier system as well when the channel/group that has the logic on it is all contained within the unit it resides in and not some other unit on the network.

Mick

znelbok, Jun 20, 2012
  7. dodge1

Memphix

I too would like to see more logic channels. Same view as dodge1 and znelbok, it can provide a responsive, tidy setup.

I know of another fellow programmer who would definitely vote too (he introduced me to them). We did mention this at an open forum at a pointOne weekend in Adelaide a few years back... there were not enough people interested back then, with the same response from the engineer, "we have not heard that request before".

Good to see that logic addresses show up in group dependencies :D

Typically I would use the logic channels for a lighting that is switched by a key switch and PIR sensor. Where the key switch is to override the sensor (useful when there are multiple channels used). However, some clients prefer to see the key switch indicator ON when the lights are on from the sensor.

Memphix, Jul 2, 2012
Ask a Question