OID vs sourceunit

Discussion in 'C-Gate Developers' started by ievolve, Feb 1, 2012.

1. ievolve

ievolve

Can someone tell me what an "OID" is? I see it stands for "objectID", is an "object" a wall switch? I see there is a "sourceunit" in there as well, how do those differ?

An example message looks like:

lighting on //WEBB/254/56/20 #sourceunit=48 OID=256f8e30-2e9a-102f-be6c-d765d565c40f

ievolve, Feb 1, 2012
  2. ievolve

ievolve

After a little more debugging it appears that "sourceunit" is maybe the wallplate, but OID is the individual button on that wallplate? Correct?

Anyone know if these addresses will persist across restarts of cgate?

ievolve, Feb 1, 2012
  3. ievolve

Arielis

The sourceunit is the device that send the command. The OID is only use by C-Gate and the toolkit.

You can check on your network(254), on the lighting application(56) and on the group 20 which device is by looking for on the toolkit the address for the device 48.

Arielis, Feb 1, 2012
  4. ievolve

ashleigh Moderator

In the cgate commands you see, everything after the # is a comment.

Internally, the OID is used by Toolkit to link things together, and when commands are sent to Cgate the OID is preserved as a comment so that developers can track back through what is happening, if that is needed.

For normally use, the OID is not needed or relevant. Nor is it something you should rely on, OID's can change.

The button on a unit never appears on the network, only the group to which that button was linked at commissioning time.

ashleigh, Feb 3, 2012
  5. ievolve

ievolve

Thanks for the clarification Asleigh.

Will you tell me, can "sourceid" be used reliably?

What I was thinking would be nice would be to tie a single group to something, say group 94 is the "volume up" button. When someone hit "group 94" I would then check which source it was, to know which room to turn the volume up in.

I realize I could asssign different groups to each room, but then the mess on the other end is my code that is handling the audio must listen for a big list of groups which are all associated with audio instead of just a single "group 94", make sense?

ievolve, Feb 3, 2012
  6. ievolve

Darren Senior Member

Yes

Darren, Feb 3, 2012
Ask a Question