No Network Connectivity to 5500CN

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by scodes, Apr 27, 2020.

1. scodes

scodes

Hello,

I'm trying to assist my father in law to troubleshoot a CBUS Network interface. I think either something might be wrong with the device or it might have a static IP address set that is no longer known but there doesn't seem to be an option to reset to factory defaults.

We have followed the setup instructions configuring a static ARP binding and sending a packet to the device (tested ICMP, TCP on the recommended ports). I setup a network tap to confirm the packet is egressing the switch interface the 5500CN connects. The packet is sent out the interface using the mac address set in the static ARP entry (the same as mac on the label of the device) however the device doesn't seem to respond to ICMP, TCP or UDP connections.

Specifically following the instructions and sending a telnet on port 1 to get a packet sent to the device while looking at the packet capture shows a TCP SYN being sent towards the device but no response from the device. The instructions say it should fail quickly (i assume this means it would respond with a reset as it doesn't have a listener on port 1, rather than timing out as if its silently dropping or not responding).

Next i tried using DHCP to see if the device would pick up an IP address. I setup my home router with additional debugging for DHCP and power cycled the device. The device sends a DHCP request (using a link local IP address and the correct mac address from the label on the unit) which is received by my router and a DHCP lease is offered to the device. The device was given an IP address of 192.168.1.61/24 so i tested connectivity to this IP address with ICMP, and using telnet with port 1, 9999 and 10001 but no response on any port. I also tried opening a webpage using that IP and each of the ports but again no responses.

The last test i did was installing the CBUS toolkit setup the network TAP and scanned for the device. Watching the packet capture i can see the CUBS software sends out UDP packets as a broadcast but no response is from the device.

Is anyone able to clarify for me:

1) Will the 5500CN respond to ICMP (i.e from windows command prompt ping the devices IP address)?
    2) If the device has a static IP address set will it still send a DHCP request?
    3) Will the static IP address that's set persist after a reboot or will be require a packet sent to the IP address using the static ARP binding to re-establish the static?
    4) Is there a way to factory reset the device?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

scodes, Apr 27, 2020
    Bigdave likes this.
  2. scodes

Wonkey

Simple suggestion use C-Bus IP utility with a direct connection to the CNI
    If the CNI is an older unit 10 plus years then the Version 1 CNI can be configured using a command prompt there is an application note on the forum
    https://www.cbusforums.com/threads/06-032-01-cni-programming.1921/
    Also check the front LED for ethernet comms and power.
    Colin

Wonkey, Apr 27, 2020
    Diggerz likes this.
  3. scodes

Diggerz

Hi,

try downloading the c-bus IP utility from the Clipsal website:
    https://updates.clipsal.com/Clipsal...is/technical/downloads/general_utilities.html

connect the CNI to a windows machine via Ethernet and run the utility. If the CNI is powered up and working the utility should pick it up. From there you can view the ip that is currently set as well as edit it along with other network settings as required.

Diggerz, Apr 27, 2020
  4. scodes

chromus

Sometimes u have to reboot these B$&-/:ds a few times to get the IP to stick with the utility. Also check the subnet is showing, if it isn’t chances are u need to reboot and try again.

chromus, Apr 27, 2020
  5. scodes

Bigdave

did this get sorted? the same thing happened to me.

I had to use the latronix controller software.

My problem was 100% the same and I was able to get to the CNI and then try about 400 passwords that I set on it from 10 years ago, I eventually worked it out.

Bigdave, May 2, 2020
  6. scodes

mick57

Hi guys,

Any help at this point would be appreciated.

I have a similar issue. I have the 5500CN(v1) installed. It was last used for programming about 10 years, two PCs and three routers ago. I have had different ip assignments in this time so i tried the Cbus ip config tool and the Lantronix device manager to try and obtain the old ip to no avail. I have followed the installation manual for the earlier unit, i have followed the arp -s command as per the manual but i am seeing no connection when the telnet port 9999 is opened. it appears to be binding the physical address to the assigned ip when connected directly via a x-over cable (i can see this in the arp -a list) but once it is connected to a router (and another pc) it is not visible in the arp -a list (of the second pc). Pc ip (used for the direct connection) is currently set to auto in the ipv4 settings. When the x-over cable is disconnected and the ip config command is entered in cmd the adaptor ip is obviously not showing an address as the cable is unplugged. Once the x-over cable is inserted the socket is configured to 10.0.0.90 with a subnet of 255.255.0.0. the physical address of the cni was bound to 10.0.0.99. When i try opening the telnet port 1 on this address it hangs for a few seconds (according to the manual it is supposed to fail after a short period). when trying to open the 9999 port i am receiving the same "connect failed" response.

I am running out of ideas. Any help aside from purchasing another CNI would be appreciated.

mick57, Feb 13, 2022
Ask a Question