Ness M1 Gold C-Bus Interface

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by abg, Apr 26, 2008.

1. abg

abg

Any help on the following greatly appreciated!

Basic summary....

1. Ness M1 Gold system with C-Bus interface installed and running.
    2. C-Bus system installed and running - can see M1 C-Bus interface.
    3. 'Light 1' assigned to Group 001 in C-Bus and works perfectly off C-Bus switch connected to dimmer.
    4. Added 'Light 1' to group 001 on M1 Lighting and downloaded to Keypad but won't switch on light on C-Bus when switched on from keypad. (Not trying to run lights from M1 keypad as such - doing this to check comms between systems as suggested on M1 C-Bus interface installation instructions)

Are there any undocumented things that need to be done (tried disconnecting from Ness software and then turning on from keypad but this made no difference).

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2008
    abg, Apr 26, 2008
  2. abg

znelbok

Which M1 interface board do you have, V1, V2 or V2.1

You need to set the lighting groups up with the same number as in toolkit - which I think you have done

ie, Group 1 in toolkit called "Light 1"
    In NessRP, Light 1 is also called "Light 1" - but it does not matter what the name is, that is just for human understanding (as with toolkit)

Make sure you have the future box ticked - very important.

have you got both LED's on the sim board of the M1 interface lit - if not then there is no network there.

Write a rule
    When F1 on keypad 1 pressed then turn on lighting Light 1
    (something like that)

Make sure you save it and for it to work you need to disconnect NessRP. The interface does not work when RP is connected. (this is probably the reason it is not working for you, an easy trap)

I use my M1 KP2 to turn lights on and off all the time with no problems at all.

Mick

znelbok, Apr 27, 2008
  3. abg

abg

Hi

Thanks for response. Running V2.1 both Leds on. CBus can see M1.

Have done as suggested with no luck but one thing I'm not clear on is the Future' option. Where is this ?!

I am using version 1.6.24 of NessRp - I assume Ness uses the default Lighting Application on C-Bus of 56?

One other thing - when I attempt to turn on the light via the ness keypad using the # key it beeps 4 times (and toggles the ON/OFF). Does this mean something?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2008
    abg, Apr 27, 2008
  4. abg

znelbok

My PC with Rp is out of action due to a power supply failure so I am going by memory here.

the future option is a column in the table where you set all the group addresses and specify if it is a dimmer or not and tick the "show" box.

It allows the M1 to send commands faster. It was originally built for x10 which could only send commands every 1 sec. Obviously C-bus is faster so it allow for the extra speed.

Not sure if you can use the # key to turn a light on or off.

Try using a function key instead.

Failing all that, have a go on the Ness forums if you can get access. If you cant keep posting here.

But to keep it simple, follow the instructions in the manual and you should get there.

Mick

znelbok, Apr 27, 2008
  5. abg

abg

Ness M1 and Clipsal Multi-sensor (now)

Problem fixed. Turned out to be a faulty board. Boards made (or shipped) in Jan/Feb appear to have had the wrong C-Bus kit on them (anybody else suffer from this?). I hadn't plugged it all in until a few days ago so problem has been sitting idle. All good now with new board and M1 talking to C-bus.

I have multi-sensors located in many rooms for automatically turning on lights and for ir reception and would like to use some of these for alarm (I know there is a school of thought saying keep them separate but....)

There doesn't appear to be a way to say to the M1: "If you are armed and the sensor triggers (ie: sets a GA on) then turn on Burglar Alarm mode".

Is this possible? You can trigger an output but I (effectively) want to trigger an input.

Andrew

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2008
    abg, Apr 29, 2008
  6. abg

paulw11

Hi,

I recall seeing this discussed on another forum with the conclusion being that you can't trigger the alarm from rules directly. What you can do is connect an output relay to an input zone and then use a rule to violate an input zone and trigger the alarm that way.

Paul

paulw11, Apr 29, 2008
  7. abg

znelbok

Ness had a simm board that had two LED's on it. When they got a new batch from Clipsal they had three LED's. Ness claim that Clipsal told them that the SIM board required no change in software to run. But when installed it did not work and required an update.

Current V2.1 boards have a 3 led sim board. Two LED's are for the c-bus, the other one is to indicate that the burden is active on the board.

To activate the burden you have to select it in toolkit and via the jumper on the board.

Mick

znelbok, Apr 29, 2008
  8. abg

abg

Multi-sensor works as PIR with Ness M1 Gold

Thanks Paul and Mick for your input - all very helpful.

It can be done....just thought I'd update this for future reference.

- All working using multi-sensors as alarm PIRs. Multi-sensor triggers dummy group using PIR Day Move/Night Move in C-Bus.
    - Ness M1 rule checks the status of this group and if 'ON' and alarm is armed it closes relay on M1 Expander (mine is 8relay/8voltage)
    - this relay in turn (is wired to an input and) triggers the input zone setting off the Burglar status.

Depending on the level of detail required at the alarm end all the multi-sensors can be set to trigger the same group address or each sensor could have it's own address and rules in the M1 test for each sensor independently (these would then need to be connected to their own inputs if you wanted the alarm to advise the specific sensor that caused the Burglar status)

Seems okay so far...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2008
    abg, Apr 30, 2008
  9. abg

Nathan

Yes well i remember i have had several of these faulty boards from ness late last year. Still waiting on my cartons of beer for my time in replacing them and my chrissy present Craig if your listening?????

Nathan, Apr 30, 2008
  10. abg

ashleigh Moderator

Setting the record straight: Te software required no change with the updated SIM. A hardware change was required on the Ness side.

ashleigh, May 1, 2008
Ask a Question