Multi-network G-Gate dongle with no Printer port

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by nnewey, Sep 15, 2005.

1. nnewey

nnewey

We are about to load a unlimited network C-Gate / Scheduler Plus on to a server PC. This PC has no physical Parallel printer port. Can I use a USB to Parallel adaptor to plug the dongle in?

nnewey, Sep 15, 2005
  2. nnewey

Richo

I haven't tested it myself, but I suspect not. Most likely you will need to add a real parallel port to the server.

The dongle is made by this safenet (formally Rainbow) and they had this to say about USB Parallel ports and their dongles.
    http://c3.safenet-inc.com/Display_Results.asp?DocId=3583

In your case you wouldn't use PCMCIA, but rather just add a Parallel port directly to the server.

Richo, Sep 15, 2005
  3. nnewey

MichaelCarey

Friggin' hardware protection devices. But at least Clipsal aren't as bad as some marine plotting software I've installed!! You need a USB dongle for the actual software to work (plus authorisation numbers).... PLUS a USB E-token (even more complex dongle with brains) to un-encrypt the C-Map charts on the fly. And if they break, are stolen, go missing, or get lost..... too bad, you can't get replacements. They suggest you consider getting insurance to cover losses! C-Map edition 3 chart packs can cost as much as $10000 :D
    But I digress, forgive me....

MichaelCarey, Sep 15, 2005
Ask a Question