Merging 2 networks into one project

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by filpee, Apr 22, 2008.

1. filpee

filpee

If I have a multiple network job and get a 2nd person to help by programming half the networks while I program the other half, how do I then merge the networks together into one project?

During the initial stages of commissioning it doesn't really matter that we use 2 laptops but during the final stages the networks need to come together.

Whats the best way to do this?

--edit--

Thinking about this further I suppose one way to do this would be to copy/paste all the GA info on the slave laptop into excel then import that into the master pc.
    Scan all the networks in and save to the database.

Any other ideas?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2008
    filpee, Apr 22, 2008
  2. filpee

Lucky555

For all the mucking around it will probably be better to use a single machine and a single project. When toolkit first emerged from the V2 days the networking was and area that had a few holes. Keep it simple, I don't think you will save any time messing around with project db's and networks...

If anything you might share the project file with another whilst you are making a cup of tea ;)

Lucky555, Apr 22, 2008
  3. filpee

filpee

Thats fine for a small house but when your talking about a multi story office block with 100 odd devices per floor, programming it all on one pc is very time consuming.

filpee, Apr 22, 2008
  4. filpee

Mr Mark

Mr Mark, Apr 22, 2008
  5. filpee

filpee

I did think of doing that but usually I don't connect up the networks until I know that each one is individually working.

Plus a few jobs I have done the levels are designed for 'future' networking. As such I have to program with networking in mind but the systems are not networked at time of commission.

I suppose I was hoping for a magic button to allow me to merge two networks into one project.

filpee, Apr 22, 2008
  6. filpee

Richo

There is an internal tool that Clipsal Tech Support has that can take any number of C-Gate projects and merge any number f the networks from those projects into one new project. It doesn't "merge" networks together, but if ProjectA has NetA and ProjectB has NetB it can make ProjectC with NetA and NetB.

So you could send the projects to Tech Support and they can send the merged project back. Not ideal situation. It was never released publically as the plan was to add this functionality into toolkit one day.

Richo, Apr 22, 2008
  7. filpee

Lucky555

I just happened to have programmed a few multi storey office blocks(10 floors plus) in my time so the following information is not just "theory"...

You never send a lot of gear out to a site without some sort of programming, in the old days you had to unit address it all manually. Now you can bar code scan and catch up with unit addresses later - Oh guess what - we now have a database for the project. I am also guessing that it is a good idea to have the first stage database correct in terms of networks etc.

The other thing I have noticed is not many electrical companies can install 10 floors of C-Bus in one big hit. They usually install one floor then go onto the next, then go onto the next - I think you are getting the idea. So again from my humble experiences I have found that as the sparkies finish fitting off a floor of gear the programmer comes behind and completes programming (floor by floor by floor) Now here comes the real important bit. Always have a big piece of paper and a fresh pen handy to write down all the mistakes the sparkies have made during fit off because in my world each mistake they make costs a beer.

So after all that it appears what sounds good in theory maybe doesen't work that way in the real world... :rolleyes:

PS "100 odd devices per floor" now that bit really sounds like theory. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2008
    Lucky555, Apr 25, 2008
  8. filpee

PSC

Hey Lucky, was golf canceled this morning???

PSC, Apr 25, 2008
  9. filpee

Lucky555

Playing on Sunday morning - please help by praying for the rain to stay away between now and then.
    Won last month by 2 strokes - won't be that lucky this month ;)

Have we got off topic ???????
    ;) ;)

Lucky555, Apr 25, 2008
Ask a Question