Maintenance Events are not in realtime !!!

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by mycbus, Apr 19, 2008.

1. mycbus

mycbus

my C-Bus configuration is :
    C-Gate2 <==> PCI <===> Network 254 <===> Network Bridge <===> Network 253

after C-Gate2 has initialized all networks when i disconnect Network 253 C-Bus cable, i have to wait around 5 to 10 miniutes to get report from C-Gate2 that Network 253 is on ERROR state (using "get 253 state" command)

and when i connect Network 253 C-Bus cable back to Network Bridge, i have to wait much more a long time around 30 - 40 minuites to get report from C-Gate2 that Network 253 is on OK state and ready to get back to execute all control command for Network 253 !!!

Is there any way to know what's a network or unit status in realtime or close to realtime?

*** i notice scan-time option in "C-GateConfig.txt" is missing for CGate2

mycbus, Apr 19, 2008
  2. mycbus

ashleigh Moderator

The method used by C-Gate to detect failures is to periodically check that the units (and networks) that it thinks are present are in fact still there.

This is known as a "sync".

Sync too frequently -> poor performance.

Sync too infrequently -> long lags in the notification that something is amiss.

Fundamentally though, if you don't look, you don't know. And how often you look, and what for, is critical. We frequently get a bashing for over-zealous reporting of failures :)

To answer your question: "real-time" is actually a meaningless term. It means whatever you want it to mean.

Example: if I only look at the lamps in a room of my house once a day at 10am (because I don't actually go in there much... ok its a contrived example) then my "real time" allows me to have a failure present for up to 23 hrs, 59 minutes.

But if I'm in the room and the lamp fails I know about it within milliseconds.

I ASSUME that in this case you want notification within some short period of time... seconds or thereabouts.

The answer to this is: no you cannot get 100% reliable notification of a disconnect at that sort of interval.

Reasons: It depends on where cgate is looking, it depends on the topology of your networks (disconnects can sometimes be found sooner for deep network topologies rather than wide ones), it depends on the sync interval, it depends on the number of times cgate re-tries before declaring lack of communications, and it depends on how long cgate has to wait for each failure to communicate to be detected as such.

ashleigh, Apr 19, 2008
Ask a Question