Is there a way to have a non retriggerable timer.

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Charlie Crackle, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Charlie Crackle

Charlie Crackle

I would like to have a button that once pressed will operate load for 2 minutes and then stop. (For a grey water dump function)

If the button is pressed again I don't want the timer extended.

I was hoping doing a start, idle, idle, idle would do it but to restarts the timer like the retrigger function.

Any ideas.

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Jan 5, 2005
  2. Charlie Crackle

coppo

I don't think so, the closest i would think is to use
    just pressed - idle
    Short release - idle
    Long Press - ONKEY
    Long Release - Retrigger

then increase the "long press" time value in the global settings,
    this would stop people doign the casual short press and starting the timer again.

Other wise something like the impending "logic engine" would be required, as it can cause actions based upon events such as "change of state" of a GA.

coppo, Jan 6, 2005
  3. Charlie Crackle

Charlie Crackle

This was a good idea till i realised that the long press effects all the keys on the KEY4. Dimmer function on the lights in the other switches felt funny with a long longpress time !

Charlie Crackle, Jan 6, 2005
  4. Charlie Crackle

UncleDick

Ho hum,
    If you have tried that out you will find that it works the first time but then you can't start the process again as the load (as in the C-bus Group Address)is still oficially on (even though the relay is off). Seems like we have a catch 22 if we turn the group address off there is no way of stopping it being re-started withing the time period and if we solve that problem like Michael does then if the GA is still 'ON' we can't re-start the process AAAARGH!!!. Only light at the end of the tunnel is that future products will be able to do this, in the meantime we are still looking

UncleDick, Jan 7, 2005
  5. Charlie Crackle

Don

Charles,

If you use the threshold feature of a relay channel controlling the load, you should be able to get the desired function as follows:

short press = ONKEY
    short release = RCLRAMP,
    long press = RCLRAMP and
    long release = idle.

set ramp2 time to 2 minutes (122 seconds is close), set the recall level to 1% and set the threshold in the relay to 2%.
    The ONKEY will set the level to 100% if the group was previously OFF, but otherwise will do nothing. The RCLRAMP will ramp the group from its current level to 1% at the RAMP2 rate. If the key is pressed during the timing, new RCLRAMP commands will be issued, but the total delay to 1% will not be changed. This has the drawback that the status of the group is ON at all times. I haven't tested it, but it should work. The RAMPOFF function sounds better, but I'm not sure that it will have the same effect...

Don

Don, Jan 7, 2005
  6. Charlie Crackle

Michael

Unfortunately Uncle Dick got a message in before id finished deleting my last post....... However Don has suggested the same as myself. As Mentioned above, this method will work well if you only want the action to happen once and once only. :(

Michael, Jan 7, 2005
  7. Charlie Crackle

Wonkey

Charlie
    Try this one
    Short Press ONKEY
    Short release DNKEY
    Long Press DNKEY
    Long Release RETRIG
    Set you Ramp 1 rate to 120sec
    Timer to 1 Sec
    Set the turn on level in you relay to 3%

1)Here's what will happen if a short press and release is actioned the relay turns on and nearly 2 mins later the relay turns off but the group address remains ON
    2)To Turn the Group address OFF Do a Long Press. The Action can then be repeated.

3)If a long press is done when the group address is OFF the relay will turn OFF nearly 2 min Later and the Group address 1 sec later.

4)If the button is pressed whilst the load is ON the original time is not affected, the Group address may need resetting as in 2 above

Wonkey, Jan 7, 2005
  8. Charlie Crackle

Don

Ahh. That explains why UncleDick's comment made no sense. I thought it might have something to do with his footnote....

I'm afraid I can't think of anything else, unless you have no other dimmers on the same plate. If you have nothing else, you could use the fact that the up and down functions imhibit any other functions except OFF until they hit the end of their travel. This way, you could set up a key with

upkey/rampoff/idle/idle, with ramp1 time set to 2 minutes, and ramp 2 set to instantaneous

or you could use recall with a stored value of 0 to turn the group off at the end, but you can't use offkey.

If you had a spare bus coupler floating around, I'm sure we could think of a way to make it go, but that's extra $. The bus coupler would enable the use of the threshold in the output unit to eventually reset the state of the group so that the previous method could be used repeatedly.

Don

Don, Jan 7, 2005
Ask a Question