IP address on 5500PC

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Shubba, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Shubba

Shubba

My head is spinning trying to work out how to “enhance” my current C-Bus setup.

The house we bought last year has C-Bus lighting and is the PCI I have for it is a 5500PC (which is the RS-232 one). I can connect to the C-Bus through this 5500PC using my surface pro via the USB to RS-232 cable and when I open up C-Bus Toolkit, I can sync the project via the COM port (it has it set as COM5). It displays the 65 units we have on the network so comfortable with that. The C-Bus network had a hiccup last year where all the lights when out of whack and I was able to resync the backed-up project and all was good.

I have started looking at trying to use a Raspberry PI to see if I can set this up on some other tablets/phones to control the lights as my first step. I’ve installed Homebridge via this setup - https://github.com/greiginsydney/Homebridge-cbus-installer/blob/master/SETUP.md with the Raspberry PI connected to the network with its own IP address assigned (via DCHP).

This has all seemed to work successfully but one of the steps is to copy the project .xml file across to the /home/pi/ directory (step 13. in link). As this .xml file has only ever been used via COM connection, when it tries to connect (step 35. in link), it seems to not like the syncing….

020-11-26T08:55:38.616Z cbus:client rx event { time: '20201126-185538', code: 755, processed: false, message: '//SANDZ/254 2aaecf00-11cb-1039-92da-8b34b71cfdac InterfaceState=opening, TargetState=running', type: 'event', raw: '#e# 20201126-185538 755 //SANDZ/254 2aaecf00-11cb-1039-92da-8b34b71cfdac InterfaceState=opening, TargetState=running' }

2020-11-26T08:55:38.619Z cbus:client rx event { time: '20201126-185538', code: 911, processed: false, message: "//SANDZ/254 2aaecf00-11cb-1039-92da-8b34b71cfdac Can't open: C-Bus interface (no such port):COM5", type: 'event', raw: "#e# 20201126-185538 911 //SANDZ/254 2aaecf00-11cb-1039-92da-8b34b71cfdac Can't open: C-Bus interface (no such port):COM5" } 2

I can only assume that if I knew the IP address of the 5500PC (does it even have one??!!!), and replaced the toolbox xml file from the COM5 tag to the actual IP address one, then it would work?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <Installation><DBVersion>2.3</DBVersion><Version>1.0</Version><Modified>2008-09-02T06:39:03.250+10:00</Modified> <Project><TagName>SANDZ</TagName><Address>SANDZ</Address><Description>C-Bus project generated from live network by C-Gate v2.6.1 (build 2246)</Description><Network><TagName>LOCALNETWORK</TagName><Address>254</Address><NetworkNumber>254</NetworkNumber><Interface><InterfaceType>Serial</InterfaceType><InterfaceAddress>COM5</InterfaceAddress></Interface>

For what it is worth, I have tried to use DeviceInstaller software (no devices come up when connected via USB/RS-232 cable to 5500PC), nor anything with the earlier version of IP utility (prior to 1.5v). I did use the Clipsal Diagnostics tool and it is connected (via a COM5 connection) .

Also, when I am trying to connect, I have tried various combinations of having the USB/RS-232 and/or ethernet cable connected between the Raspberry PI and the 5500PC but now I’m just plucking at straws ☹

Any help….please……..

Shubba, Nov 26, 2020
  2. Shubba

chromus

You you CAN edit the XML, but DON’T unless you are really adept at it, if u misformat it, you can do real damage.

The other thing, The Pi won’t play nice with the serial interface you will need a CNI to do this properly. Once u have the CNI you can use Toolkit to change the XML file to use the CNI IP address and you don’t run the risk of issues.

There are a couple of threads in the Voice Control section of the forum where we regularly discuss Homebridge solutions. I recommend heading there for some reading.

chromus, Nov 26, 2020
  3. Shubba

DarylMc

Hi Shubba
    Stop for a bit and be super careful what you are doing there.
    You cannot connect the CBus RS232 interface directly to Ethernet.
    CBus devices have RJ45 sockets for the CBus cabling but this is in no way compatible with Ethernet networks.
    Take extra care to not plug them together ever.

Chromus advice is good and a CBus CNI device is the obvious choice to get a computer talking to the CBus network.
    There is several CBus devices that can do the job but the most common choice would be 5500CNI 2.
    Other options include the Wiser and SHAC automation controllers which also have built in CBus Ethernet interfaces.

There is another option where you can use your existing interface.
    I’ve used the CBus RS232 PC interface for many years with a serial device server to connect to the Ethernet network.
    It has been very reliable for me and functionally the same as the Clipsal CNI.
    There are many different brands available which can do the same job but I’ve been extremely happy with this one.
    https://www.moxa.com/en/products/in...device-servers/nport-5100a-series/nport-5150a
    It should be a lot cheaper than buying a CNI but the downside is not as easy to plug and play.

If you have been going through Greig’s setup I think you will be quite thrilled once you get it all working.
    Get on Greig’s thread page and ask away if you are not sure about anything.

DarylMc, Nov 26, 2020
  4. Shubba

Shubba

Thanks so much for the responses guys. Yes, I am a bit underdone in this C-BUS world. I didn't realise that there's no easy connection between the 5500PC and my home network.

So can I ask a dumb question, is it possible that the Raspberry PI can have software /firmware/whatever??? installed and running on it that will make it operate like the Moxa product you mentioned with the connection between the RJ45 or 9 pin ports and the Raspberry PI?

Shubba, Nov 26, 2020
  5. Shubba

DarylMc

DarylMc, Nov 27, 2020
  6. Shubba

DarylMc

Here is the easy option for you.
    Sounds like you already have an adapter.
    I connected an FTDI USB to RS232 cable adapter from a raspberry pi to the 5500PC following these instructions for testing.
    Installing C-Gate on a Raspberry Pi – Addicted to Pi Blog

Run the following in a terminal after following Greig's instructions.
    Homebridge-cbus-installer/SETUP.md at master · greiginsydney/Homebridge-cbus-installer · GitHub

git clone https://github.com/nutechsoftware/ser2sock.git
    sudo mv ser2sock /usr/local/bin
    cd /usr/local/bin/ser2sock
    chown -R pi:pi .
    mv config.h.in config.h
    cc -o ser2sock ser2sock.c

Create the ser2sock service file
    sudo nano /etc/systemd/system/ser2sock.service

Insert the following text
    [Unit]
    Description=ser2sock

[Service]
    ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/ser2sock/ser2sock -p 10001 -s /dev/ttyUSB0 -b 9600
    Restart=always
    User=root
    Group=root
    Environment=PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
    Environment=NODE_ENV=production
    WorkingDirectory=/usr/local/bin/ser2sock/

[Install]
    WantedBy=multi-user.target

Ctrl x then y to save
    Activate and start the service

sudo systemctl enable ser2sock.service
    sudo systemctl start ser2sock.service

sudo reboot

Test with CBus Toolkit and edit the project xml on the raspberry pi
    Open CBus Toolkit
    File - Disconnect CGate
    File - Connect to remote CGate
    Add a new connection called for example rpi_ser2sock at IP address of raspberry pi.
    If everything is running properly on the raspberry pi you should see your project name in the tree.
    Select your project open the network tab and edit the network.
    Rename the network for example rpi_usb
    Type CNI
    Address 127.0.0.1
    Port 10001
    Once you hit OK that will be written to the project xml on the raspberry pi.
    reboot the raspberry pi

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    DarylMc, Dec 2, 2020
  7. Shubba

DarylMc

Oh dear
    Go to the URL for the text.
    Don't copy the :p

DarylMc, Dec 2, 2020
    N.W.B and Mr Mark like this.
  8. Shubba

Shubba

Daryl - Thanks so much. Funnily enough, today was the first chance I have managed to free up time to look back at this so your timing of the additional info is perfect! :)

I will follow your latest instructions (sans smiley face) and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

Shubba, Dec 3, 2020
  9. Shubba

Shubba

Hey DarylMc, thanks for your help. I mange to work (....clutz....) my way through it and have successfully got the PI connected to my 5500PC. I managed to get a version of my existing .XML file and stepped through all the rooms as part of the build, so that I now can connect and control lights and blinds in the house by using the homebridge UI connected to the internal IP address (via a browser). Not sure I knew all of what I was doing but stepped through and got it working. My wife is amazed I can control the household lights from my phone so a big win already.

So now the tricky bit is that we are an Android family (and hoping to use either an existing Samsung tablet or even a less than utilised Microsoft Surface Pro) to have as a "base station" in the kitchen. Eventually with a view to extend these to have climate/webcams/security/intercom/...etc as part of a dashboard for it. The problem with the homebridge option amongst other things is that it is fairly basic for these non-apple devices if I need to run it via the url instead of a dedicated app

Do you know if there is another option that might be better suited that will consolidate all these things for android or windows?

Shubba, Dec 6, 2020
  10. Shubba

DarylMc

Oh no
    I don’t know but there must be a better way to go about things if you are purely Android users.
    There is a plug-in for Homebridge called GSH which looks pretty easy to set up.
    You could give that a go but I think you need to make a new post or search the forum for Android options.

DarylMc, Dec 6, 2020
  11. Shubba

DarylMc

Clipsal SHAC is the latest automation controller for CBus.
    If you are after a browser based interface you can use on any platform that is an option to consider.

DarylMc, Dec 6, 2020
  12. Shubba

DarylMc

Since you are doing some tinkering with your CBus it might be a good time to mention to keep a backup of your project in a safe place.

DarylMc, Dec 6, 2020
Ask a Question