intermittent network scan failure

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Neil C, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Neil C

Neil C

I am in the process of installing a new system. From time to time, when I scan the network using the toolkit software, the scan will fail on one unit, but then continue to successfully scan the others. Once this has happened, the scan will continue to fail on the same unit.

To get around the problem, if I power the whole system off then back on, the scan will then work. It's noticable that at this stage, the scan is also much quicker on on the whole C-bus network.

After working on the system for some time, the scan sometimes fails again, usually on a different unit to the one which was previously failing. Once this has happened, this sane unit will continue to fail the scans until I again repower the system.

Does anybody have any ideas what might be causing the problem? Could it possibly be due to the number of changes I am instigating as I program the system, or perhaps due to the operation of the manual override buttons on various channels as I work through the programming of the system?

Neil C, Dec 11, 2008
  2. Neil C

pbelectrical

Burden

Neil, not sure if this will help but today I added about 15 new units to an existing network. Whilst adding them a message flashed up about the state of the burden being altered, I took no notice and went on to edit all the units. I then added another unit and re-scanned the network, all went to hell, took ages to scan, did not recognise half the units. I connected my network tester and it advised to remove a burden, checked the units for burdens and fond the PC interface had one enabled, disabled it and all was fine.

Perhaps when using the manual override buttons you accidentally put it into learn mode which I think will somehow automatically activate a burden.

Like I said I could be wrong but at least gives you something to look at.

pbelectrical, Dec 17, 2008
  3. Neil C

Neil C

Peter

Thanks for your reply. I typically do have 2 burdens enabled, which is usually a hardware burden, and a software burden on the PAC I use on a temporary basis, whilst I'm programming the system. I thought that if a hardware burden was fitted, then the system would not use a software burden, and if multiple sofware burdens are enabled, I thought that the system would just use the first one it found. Is that not the case?

With regards to the scanning problem, it seems strange that repowering the whole system off then back on, should cure the inability to scan a particular unit. Incidentally, the unit which was failing, did not have a burden enabled.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Neil C, Dec 24, 2008
  4. Neil C

NickD Moderator

This is not the case... to clarify a few things about burdens:

You should really only have one burden at most enabled. On large neworks (lots of cable and/or units).. you may not even need one at all.

The units with software burdens have no way of detecting presence of a hardware burden, so they do not automatically disable their own burden if a hardware burden is fitted.

There are two types of units that include software burdens :

1) Output units like relays and dimmers. If you enable multiple software burdens in these, they will only be activated if the unit's unit address is 001... this is to minimise the chance of more than one being enabled.

2) Units based on a PCI (CTouch, PAC, PCI, CNI) - these units can have their burden enabled regardless of their unit address

In Learn mode, if the unit on which Learn is initiated can not communicate, it will try *changing* the state of its own burden to see if that helps.

Nick

NickD, Dec 26, 2008
Ask a Question