Im using Homegate V2 - can i use new toolkit ?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Rolecgroup, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Rolecgroup

Rolecgroup

Looking at the compatability charts can i use the new Toolkit - or am i going to be forced to upgrade to v3 ??

I have a network where DLT programming and PICA does not work

Exception 'ECGateUnitFailedToSave' in module CBusToolkit1_1.exe at 000F8E6E

Module: CIS_TCGateCommand, Source: CIS_TCGateCommand.pas, Line 261
    Procedure: TCGateCommand.CommandExecute

Writing to DLT - i get cant write "Unit failed to write to physical etc.

i'm told it could be my 1.1.7 version of Toolkit that is a problem.

If i'm going to forced to go down the V3 Homegate route to get things working correctly - what is the upgrade path for UK owners from V2.

Dean.

Rolecgroup, Apr 8, 2006
  2. Rolecgroup

JohnC

Hi Rolecgroup

I just finished a revamp of a big Homegate v1.3 project, and didn't buy new Homegate software. But I did program the project with Toolkit - Here's how you can use them :

Make sure ALL your Group names are very clearly named in Toolkit. Note that V2 Homegate only allows 20 CHARACTERS, so you have to be very short and sweet in your names !

If you use over 20 characters, it will be almost impossible to work out what does what in Homegate, because it chops the end of the names off and adds ~01 etc to the end (a bit like how Windows files look like in DOS) However if you are like me and like to include "comments" in your Group Names, then put the comments at the end (in which case only use 16 or 17 characters for your "main" group names...
    eg: Toolkit ---> V2 export
    - This is a really long group name ---> This is a really~01
    - This is a really long one too ---> This is a really~02
    etc

Make sure you aren't going to make further Group Name changes - so, ensure Toolkit programming is completed. Then choose EXPORT PROJECT from the menu (I think it's in the Edit Menu). This will copy a V2 compatible version into the Cbus2\Projects folder, in a sub-folder with the respective project name.

Next, use Homegate V1 or V2 as-per normal. Just choose the respective Project Name from the list it presents to you in Project Details.

The problem of compatibility is that if you make any changes to the project in Toolkit, they will not be reflected in the Homegate Groups Lists. So, you MUST RE-EXPORT a copy of the revised project from Toolkit to V2 before the changes will appear in Homegate.

Hope that makes sense - John

JohnC, Apr 10, 2006
  3. Rolecgroup

Garfield

If you can do what you need with the new ToolKit to get the new units working but leave the old version of ToolKit (V2 installation software) on the site with the old HomeGate i would think that it would continue to work fine.

Not sure about uk, but australian catalog has an upgrade from V2 to V3. You just install it over the top.

Garfield, Apr 10, 2006
  4. Rolecgroup

JohnC

I forgot to add...

When I mentioned the export from Toolkit to V2 above, I refer to making it work with an UNPATCHED version of Homegate V2.

The difference is that genuine V2 software (including Homegate 1.3 & 2.x) get there Group Names from the *.tag file in Cbus2\Projects\YourProjectName folder.

Toolkit stores the Group Names in an *.xml file in Cgate2\Projects folder. So, to use my method, you need to go back to an "original" version of Homegate - the "Toolkit Compatible" Homegate v2.x needs to use a *.xml file and therefore the export routine won't work.

JC

JohnC, Apr 10, 2006
Ask a Question