How to make a scene toggle on/off?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by davestevens_uk, Oct 26, 2007.

1. davestevens_uk

davestevens_uk

All,
    I'm sure this is very simple to do, but....

I've got some Saturn DLT units in the living areas at home. The front page is setup with Scenes, and the 2nd page allows control of the individual lights in the room.

At the moment I'm using an 'OFF' scene on the front page, but this seems like a bit of a waste of a button. Is it possible to make a scene toggle - ie one push for on and a second push for off?

Thanks,
    David.

davestevens_uk, Oct 26, 2007
  2. davestevens_uk

ashleigh Moderator

On a DLT, no.

If you use a separate logic engine, yes.

Limits to what you can do with small microprocessors in something like a DLT.

ashleigh, Oct 27, 2007
  3. davestevens_uk

davestevens_uk

All,
    I've made quite a few additions to my install recently which has prompted me to look back at this question I asked 3yrs ago!

I've trawled through the forum, and it looks like loads of people have asked the same/similar question since. From what I've seen, there are 2 responses:

1. Get a logic engine
    2. Do it with triggers/actions (though it looks like there are some gotchas with indicators here)

My scenario is really simple. All our bedrooms have 3 or 4 groups, controlled from a main switch, and bedside switches. At the moment I waste a button on the main switch just to turn everything off (where I'd like to have it as an additional scene). Also at the bedside I'd like one button to EITHER turn on the bedside light OR turn off every light in the room.

One of the posts (Ashleigh) suggested this would be supported by future devices. Any update on that, and does it imply that I'd need to change my switches anyway?

I guess the truth is I'm surprised that my very swish lighting system can't do something which seems so simple.....and everyone is asking for!

Any feedback on this from the C-Bus team?

In the meantime, I think I need to get a logic engine, but they look pretty expensive....is there a 'cheap' option?

Many thanks,
    Dave.

davestevens_uk, Nov 18, 2010
  4. davestevens_uk

tobex

As far as I know there is an answer in a recent post to me.

Essentially you need

- 6 lines of logic code
    - Scene cycle on the button
    - Touch screen with logic or PACA.

Off - Scene 1 - ..... - Scene n - Off

Off - Scene 1 - Off <<<< your question The off status is really Scene 2 - so all you are doing is swapping them over. You are proposing Scene 1 - Scene 2 - Scene 1 - Scene 2.

There is nothing stopping you from defining OFF as a scene.

Has been posted several times in the past week.

http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6471

tobex, Nov 18, 2010
  5. davestevens_uk

davestevens_uk

Hi Tobex,
    Yes, I saw that one in fact, but I think it still needs a logic engine - yes? I don't have a C-Touch, or PAC etc at present, so it's a bit tricky.
    Thanks,
    D.

6. davestevens_uk

tobex

Saw touch panels as low as 100 Euro here and there. Paid a little more than that here in Australia but still much less than new price.

Sooner or later you will find it all. I only started looking a month ago and now I already have located 6. I made some old clients VERY happy.

tobex, Nov 18, 2010
  7. davestevens_uk

davestevens_uk

Wow, that's an amazing price. Even a basic black and white one is ?500+ in the UK. I'll keep my eye out!

8. davestevens_uk

Newman

If all you want to do is toggle between two scenes, then you don't even need a logic-capable device, you just need to have a device on your network with the two scenes stored in it (that is not the switch you're using), one Scene for On and one Scene for Off.

Configure the two scenes to use the Trigger Control application, assign a Trigger Group and use Action Selector 0 for the Off scene and Action Selector 255 for the On scene. Then, back on the switch in the bedroom, assign the key to the Secondary Application, specify it as Trigger Control, select the same Trigger Group as above and set the key function as Toggle.

With this configuration each press of the key will toggle between Action Selector 255 and 0, therefore toggling between the scenes.

The only real downside of this approach is behaviour of the indicators. If you "meddle" with some of the groups from another button or device, the indicator won't extinguish. It's not an issue if this is the only location you control these groups from. Doing the Scenes in a logic-capable device as suggested above addresses the indicator status issue.

A unit with the logic engine built in is a worthwhile investment regardless of whether you use it for this purpose or not, and the 5500PACA is not too badly priced. Having the ability to write free-form code to control an installation gives you a freedom to do all kinds of really neat things.

Newman, Nov 18, 2010
Ask a Question