Help with Group Addresses

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Trannie, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Trannie

Trannie

Hello All,

I'm new to this, and am a little confused with group addresses.

1. I know how to add a group address, but how does the system know what the group address controls? I have a bunch of lights/devices that haven't been given a group, so thus, i cannot turn it on or off.

2. I connected to the colour touchscreen and for some reason, the tags that i gave to the group address have disappeared and have reverted back to the numbers that were initially given. Is there a way to change this back?

Thanks!
    Chris

Trannie, Aug 23, 2006
  2. Trannie

lcrowhurst

Hi Chris

You assign the group address
    1) to an (or more than one) output (eg relay, Dimmer chanel)
    2) to an (or more than one) input (eg button) as well a the function you want it to peform (on/off, timer etc)

As the button and the output have the same address the button control the output

With you touch screen are you connecting to the same project as the one you setup in toolkit - the Cus modules only home a group address not the name you assign to them.

lcrowhurst, Aug 23, 2006
  3. Trannie

Trannie

Thanks for that Laurence.

Ok, lets take this example. Tell me if i'm doing this wrong. To create a group address for say, the lights on the back verandah. I go to:
    1. C-Bus Toolkit
    2. Then drill down to Project/Network/Applications/Lighting
    3. Click on 'Add Group'
    4. I leave 'Group Address' and modify the description to 'Back verandah lights'

Where do I assign the group address to the output? Is there a link somewhere on how to do this?

Chris

Trannie, Aug 24, 2006
  4. Trannie

Duncan

Hi Trannie ( :) )

Here's a screenshot of a Group Address thats been programmed into an Input Unit, AND an Output Unit..

The Input Unit, when its key is pressed, sends a message on the Bus that says "Back Verandah Lights on please!".. the Output unit is listening to all the messages flying around the Bus and it hears the one about the Back Verandah lights and it says "Hey, one of my channels has that Group Address, I'll switch it on"..

[​IMG]

Duncan, Aug 24, 2006
  5. Trannie

wanricky

Before all that, make sure you set up all the basics. Link all the Hardware with c-bus data cable (i.e. Cat5 cable), install a PCI, make sure there are c-Bus clock, burden, power. Connect your PC to the PCI, be able to scan the network. See all the hardware model at the scan. Open each module to assign these group address.

The reason I talked about all these, because, from your post, you maynot even see the modules in Toolkit.

The basic of the basics, get a starter course. It's online at Clispal.com/cis.

wanricky, Aug 25, 2006
Ask a Question