Guide: How to run CGate as a windows service

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by phcjpp, Sep 22, 2005.

1. phcjpp

phcjpp

Hi Guys,

Hopefully posting this will not annoy anyone - appologies if it does.

Unzip the files so they all live in C:\Clipsal\C-Gate2

edit wrapper.conf to point at your java installation (mine is in c:\program files\java\j2re1.4.2_07\bin\java - yours may be elsewhere)

test everything by running TestCGateConsole.bat

If all is ok then run InstallCGATEService.bat

You then need to navigate to the services area in control panel (under Administrator section) and start the cgate service.

All output is logged to CGate2wrapper.log

I have only tested that toolkit starts up happily - is someone able to test this when attached to a PCI ?

Cheers

Chris

Attached Files:

phcjpp, Sep 22, 2005
  2. phcjpp

phcjpp

I should highlight I have not been able to test this yet - feel free to report back - I would not suggest using this in a production environment although the wrapper itself is a well tested piece of software - we used it in a production environment quite happily.

Chris

phcjpp, Sep 22, 2005
  3. phcjpp

NickLocke

Yes, it works

I have had exactly this setup running for several months. CGate runs as a service on a W2003 server in the garage (music server is its day job). It talks to C-Bus from Com1 connected directly to the PCI. I did try the MSS100 network route, but found it to be a little unstable (and as the kit is close together, why bother!).

I can then get to C-Gate from the XP box in my study which is running Toolkit. It starts a local C-Gate first, but it's easy enough to kill that and connect to the remote one. Once connected, it's all solid as a rock.

Cheers

NickLocke, Sep 22, 2005
  4. phcjpp

mikegriff

If you command line start Homegate or Schedule+ then you dont even get the local Cgate starting :)

Mike

mikegriff, Sep 23, 2005
  5. phcjpp

rhamer

Is this still considered the official unofficial and best way to run C-Gate as a service.

rhamer, Mar 24, 2006
Ask a Question