Groups

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Jaden66, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Jaden66

Jaden66

Hi Folks,

getting excited as they start building my new home shortly and I am now programming my C-Bus items. So far I have a few questions...more to follow. Using Toolkit,

• Groups, When I add rooms and appliances (exhaust fan), I create an Applications -> Lighting, Exhaust Fan etc. In Lighting I name all my room's and areas, eg. Alfresco, Kitchen, Bedroom and these are added as a 'Group' ?
    • I would like to have a scene (?) where say all buttons 4 on a multi switch is 'ALL OFF' so all a 'group' of areas is turned off.

I am trying to get my head around 'Groups' as I understand groups as a group of rooms, appliances? But adding them in Applications a room or exhaust fan is classed as a group??

Thanks

Jaden66, Jun 15, 2020
  2. Jaden66

lcrowhurst

From The CBus Training Manual:

Group Address

Within any application, Group Addresses are used to communicate between all units on the C-Bus
    network. The C-Bus addressing scheme allows you to define up to 255 different groups per
    application. Using Group Addresses to communicate between input and output units, it is possible to
    emulate or expand beyond the functionality of conventional wiring.

Messages broadcast by an input device will be seen by the entire network, but only the units with a
    corresponding Group Address will react.

By assigning a common Group Address to several units, a number of loads can be controlled by a
    single button press on a wall switch. In the same way, a number of wall switches can control the same
    load, by assigning a common Group Address

=======
    So assign a group number to a switch button , the same group number to an output unit channel. Then the switch will control that output. you can assign the group number to multiple buttons and output channels

=================

It would be well worth you doing the basic training course :

https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/c-b...-course-cbhsbol0120-registration-106068646176

At the very least do a search for C-bus basic training manual

lcrowhurst, Jun 15, 2020
  3. Jaden66

Ashley

Just think of a group address as a piece of wire. Everything with the same group address is effectively connected together and works as one.

You control multiple groups using scenes. Scenes can be stored in logic units (Touch Screens, PAC, SHAC) and certain switches.

Ashley, Jun 15, 2020
  4. Jaden66

Jaden66

Thanks for the replies. Makes it a bit more clearer. This is where I was getting confused, so items like a single exhaust fan = a group, a set of ligths in a room = a group. Best way to control a 'group' of items, say all the lights is to create a scene.

I would like to do a C-Bus course, but by the looks they are class attendance, that would mean airfairs and accomodation as well! It would be great to do an online course. Plus i pretty much have all the eqipment that comes with the course.

Jaden66, Jun 15, 2020
  5. Jaden66

lcrowhurst

I think the course I sent is an on-line and the equipment is optional.

lcrowhurst, Jun 15, 2020
Ask a Question