Group names not appearing in DB

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Jannie, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Jannie

Jannie

When I scan a network, it detects the groups assigned to each unit and shows it in the network window.

If I then copy the network->database, the group columns in the database is not populated with the group names, still showing grayed 'unused' entries.

Any ideas?

Jannie, Jan 13, 2005
  2. Jannie

Duncan

Hi Jannie,

What button are you using to achieve this? "Add Unit->DB" transfers just simple information to the DB, the unit type, address, application, partname. No programming (ie groups etc are transferred). You'd use this when you really dont care about the programming on the Network but you want 'placeholders' in the Database that match the units on the Network

On the other hand the "All Units -> DB" button results in a transfer of the unit (if it doesnt already exist) and ALL programming information, a lengthy process.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2005
    Duncan, Jan 13, 2005
  3. Jannie

Jannie

Been using the All Units->DB button. It transfers all the units but as I said the groups don't appear in the DB window.

Also, when I try to delete a unit from the DB that's not on the network anymore, I get a crash. One of the logs I sent you was generated this way.

Are the groups supposed to be in the DB after a transfer, even if the system is offline? I would think so, as you would want to work offline and then transfer your project.

Jannie, Jan 13, 2005
  4. Jannie

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi Jannie,

if you subsequently edit a DB unit do the groups appear correctly against the Input Keys / Channels? I assume you've also tried restarting Toolkit. We're trying to determine if it's a problem with the DB Units Window refreshing or the actual underlying data is missing.

daniel, Jan 13, 2005
  5. Jannie

Jannie

Here's what happens:

1) I scan the network and the groups are loaded
    2) I do a full transfer to the db
    3) Group names do not appear in the db.
    4) Group names do not appear when I edit a db unit.
    5) Restart TK and group names appear.

6) At some point, when I open TK again they'll be gone and I have to go through the above process.

Jannie, Jan 14, 2005
  6. Jannie

Duncan

Hi Jannie,

We cant recreate this (or other problems you've found) at this point.

We have a fairly intensive messaging layer in the application that keeps everything such as group displays in sync. I am attempting to find a slower PC with less memory as I'm beginning to suspect that on a lower spec PC, especially when there's a very large project such as yours loaded (we got it out of the log) that some messages are going astray, this explains loss of group displays and other issues that you're experiencing that are seemingly unconnected.

Will let you know when I've done this.. I would anticipate that a 1ghz athlon with 256MB RAM _should_ be fine if its not, we'd look at tweaking the messaging to make it so.. this is only a theory at this point.. more info as it comes to hand.

Duncan, Jan 14, 2005
  7. Jannie

Jannie

Duncan,

While I appreciate that a bigger hammer will drive the nail harder, it hardly makes sense when it's a very small nail in the first place.....

If the system is hardly consuming CPU and RAM and we're getting software response problems it's the I/O in either the OS or the Application that's flaky.

I'm not knocking your software, I understand it's a new product, in active development (been in software development for more than 20 years, so I know the pains...) but points like:

1) Low resource utilisation on the system
    2) V2 running with no problems
    3) stability improvment from 124 to 125

all point to substantial tweaking that can still happen.

I've got a bunch of installers in the field doing programming. It now seems I must replace all their Notebooks with P4, 512MB models?

I've just bought a 3.2GHz P4 and will install the software on it and test.

Jannie, Jan 14, 2005
  8. Jannie

Duncan

I think I said I consider a 1GHz Athlon with 256MB RAM as being a reasonable platform for Toolkit. I'm not asking you to buy your installers faster machines.

I think I've also indicated that Toolkit is probably the issue.

Duncan, Jan 14, 2005
Ask a Question