Flash is dying. When will we see HTML5?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 2 Controller' started by grantw, Jun 29, 2016.

1. grantw

grantw

There may have been an announcement about this that I've missed, so my apologies if that is the case.

Given that Flash is fairly universally being panned everywhere as an ancient buggy and exploit-laden dangerous thing to have on your computer, and Google will no longer be including it in its Chrome browser...

When are we likely to see a firmware release for the Wiser2 (and ideally the other Wiser devices) that will transition everything to HTML5?

I know there has been some resistance in the past, but Flash is getting the slow bullet and it's about to hit the spine.

grantw, Jun 29, 2016
  2. grantw

grantw

Well its a bit odd to be replying to my own thread, but I've heard that there is unlikely to be anything happening for the CURRENT Wiser units, however, there is a definite move away from Flash.

I think that one word says quite a bit. :)

grantw, Jul 7, 2016
  3. grantw

poldim

It's a dog and they have too much money invested into it. My bet is they'll kill Wiser soon as I don't think it's revenues justify it's further development...

poldim, Sep 10, 2016
  4. grantw

Drew

Hi All, I have just spoken to CIS in Adelaide re the promised updated firmware for Wiser2 to replace Flash with HTML5 or similar. This is despite past representations by CIS staff who browse this forum each time this issue is raised. Schneider have failed to state a formal position on this issue for some years.

IT APPEARS THERE IS NO UPDATE COMING (in the foreseeable future), despite Flash being abandoned by most browsers officially at the end of December 2020. Their only solution from CIS is a workaround using an emulator for the mobile phone App. running under Windows - hardly a fix at all !!

This is plainly unacceptable commercial conduct - especially as the 'Flash' support issue has been forewarned for over twoyears and the WHC2_5918 Wiser2 Controller is still a current product being sold by installers and wholesalers as I write.

I believe this will require an action under Consumer Affairs (ACCC) consumer laws which apply to this product - unless a clear undertaking, by a specified date, is made by Clipsal (Integrated Systems) / Schneider to provide a firmware update to address this issue.

Clipsal/Schneider are in clear contravention of Australia Consumer Law in this matter. A class action may be required.

Drew, Dec 21, 2020
  5. grantw

poldim

I’m all for it. You start the class action and I’ll join.

Realistically, I think it’s just that you will have to tell them that you’re no longer going to buy any Clipsal & SE stuff

poldim, Dec 23, 2020
  6. grantw

Drew

Yep .... a fair response, none the less, very disappointing. CIS support has been apalling since the SE purchase of Clipsal.

Drew, Dec 29, 2020
  7. grantw

lcrowhurst

Ive been told they will have something for the PC by March.

You could also try running Bluestacks.com.au (android emulator) , install Wiser 2 App. It puts a desktop icon on the screen for easy running and can be full screen.

upload_2020-12-30_9-48-31.png

lcrowhurst, Dec 29, 2020
Ask a Question