DLT tutorial anyone?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by daniel, Nov 1, 2004.

1. daniel

daniel C-Busser Moderator

DLT Tutorial

Ok i've added a bit more to the DLT Tutorial. Also added a bit to the first section explaining the Broadcast system which is worth a read.

daniel, Nov 5, 2004
  2. daniel

MVSobey

Page Graphics On DLT

Can we change the page Key graphics on the DLT?

MVSobey, Nov 5, 2004
  3. daniel

daniel C-Busser Moderator

the folder and the word "next"? Not at this point no. It's a good idea though.

daniel, Nov 7, 2004
  4. daniel

znelbok

So i had a quick read of the tut and I have to say well done

My only gripe is that clipsal has spoiled us with the neo by having integrated IR which I think is great, why not add it to the new DLT key inputs. To achieve IR now you still need a clunky 2000 model IR input, or scene master. I doubt a bedroom is going to have a scene master and being able to turn the lights on/off without having to get out of bed on a cold winters night/morning is very appealing.

Same applies to saturn key inputs

Mick

znelbok, Nov 7, 2004
  5. daniel

Newman

Mick

The reason IR isn't on Saturn products is to do with the aesthetics - you need to have an IR window somewhere and that would mean a change in look.

Not having IR on Neo DLT is a technical limitation of the unit, there simply aren't enough resources to do everything and some of the resources that now drive the screen are necessary for IR support.

If you want discreet IR in a room then try installing a Multisensor in the ceiling somewhere, much less noticeable than a switch on the wall. Another alternative, albeit more costly, is a C-Bus Wireless remote, a Plug Adaptor and a Gateway to link the C-Bus Wireless remote back onto wired C-Bus.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2004
    Newman, Nov 7, 2004
  6. daniel

ashleigh Moderator

G'Day Mick

Trouble with adding IR to the Saturn and DLT is that you need a small hole for the IR detector. This means a cut-out in the coloured back of the glass (or possibly, worse, a hole in the glass so a plastic lens can go in it). And that would look really poxy.

ashleigh, Nov 7, 2004
  7. daniel

pgordon

OK, call me a wee bit behind the curve, but I just acquired my very first DLT unit (original, not eDLT). I hooked it up & immediately started editing it in toolkit, and without reference to any instructions at all, I think I've managed to get _mostly_ to where I want it to be, although along the way there were (and still are) a few behaviours and references that I just plain don't understand. So I hunted down the tutorial to hopefully be able to figure out those elements, but unfortunately, as I'm working through it step by step, it's becoming painfully obvious that toolkit has changed a LOT since the tutorial was written, and the dialogs I'm seeing just don't bear any resemblance to things described in the tutorial. This is sadly leaving my almost as confused as I started... :-(

Is there any more up-to-date tutorial on basic newbie DLT programming? either here, or elsewhere? (NB, impressed as I am by the original DLT, I'm now almost certain to go & invest in some eDLT's too... :) )

Many thanks

P.

pgordon, Jul 27, 2018
  8. daniel

Ashley

Toolkit Help has lots of information on DLT's.

Ashley, Jul 29, 2018
  9. daniel

pgordon

I have a very specific question that I'm struggling with just now. I kind of "get" now the concept of DLT labels configured at the network level & associated with groups... - that's working for me now for buttons controlling groups. - I can use the DLT label editor in toolkit, set the labels at the network level, and then I seen them assigned to the device keys when I associate a group with a key... so far so good.
    But what about scenes?? - I have many scenes that are only local to single units, - I only ever set them from the local unit, I never trigger them from elsewhere, so I have no trigger group or action selector associated with them...
    For the first few scenes on a unit, I saw that I could locally set the labels in the unit, but I have to use a different "variant" for each one (I'll come on to a question of WTF are "variants" in another post..)... one one particular unit, I have keys 1-3 associated with groups, and keys 4-8 are all local scenes... that's 5 keys, but I only have 4 scenes stored in the unit - the last key on each page (keys 4 & 8) both set the same scene so I have an "all off" key at the same position no matter what page is active... When I get to try to set a local label for key 8, I can't... the edit button is dimmed... - see attached pic DLT1.PNG
    What I want to know is, why, when I use the drop-down to select variant 1, is it <default> rather than the actual label? - for ALL of the other keys on this page, the drop-down shows the label as I want it to be (see pic DLT2.PNG), then take a look at pic DLT3.PNG - all the values in the 4 'variants' are just <default>...

I don't understand this behaviour at all, and it therefore seems totally stupid to me...

Attached Files:

pgordon, Aug 16, 2018
Ask a Question