Dimmer Channels not responding to software & key input units

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Raven, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Raven

Raven

I have a relatively large install (5 x 8 channel dimmers, plus 1 x 12 channel relay).

I have configured the key input units (Saturns throughout) to switch all lights but on a number of individual channels, they do not switch the circuits/channels.

The local dimmer toggle buttons work on all zones.

The affected channels will also not switch on/off when the PC is connected and the switch on/off commands are used in the dimmer unit setup. All channels that respond correctly to the key input unit allocations also correctly respond to the Toolkit on/off commands.

This is very frustrating, particularly as the missus is chewing my ear about why the switches on the walls still don't work!

I have also tested the key input units on other channels which behave properly and they all work fine.

There are no power supply issues - only 60% of supplied network power is currently being drawn.

Any ideas? I must be missing something obvious here!

Thanks

David.

[additional note]

The first part of my install was about 2 years ago and now our extension has been completed, the remainder has recently been installed and configured. The firmware versions of equivalent units are all the same but is it possible that different programming with different Toolkit versions could contribute to this problem? There are a couple of affected channels on the new dimmers as well...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2008
    Raven, Jun 23, 2008
  2. Raven

ashleigh Moderator

Toolkit versions won't make any difference.

New versions of Toolkit support new units, fix bugs, add features, etc. Backward compatibility is something that's very very very important!

You don't say if any of the non-functional dimmer / relay channels have flashing indicators on the units. If there are flashing indicators on any of the relay or dimmer units then you probably have the channels in local override mode.

You also say that you can press the buttons on the relays or dimmers and the loads will operate correctly. BUT once you do this those channels are in LOCAL OVERRIDE MODE. This means they are controlled by the buttons on the dimmer or relay AND NOTHING ELSE ! To get out of local override mode, press and hold the channel button on the dimmer or relay until flashing lights stop flashing.

ashleigh, Jun 24, 2008
  3. Raven

NickD Moderator

A few other things to check..

1) check that you have no logic setup in the "Logic" tab of the dimmer GUI
    2) check that the dimmers are on the same application
    3) as ashleigh pointed out it could also be the local overrides being active. By default C-Bus commands should take priority over these, however it is possible to disable this - so check that you have the "Enable C-Bus Priority" option checked on the "Global" tab of the GUI.

Nick

NickD, Jun 24, 2008
  4. Raven

Raven

Thanks for the help guys.

I couldn't see any of the above on the toolkit screens and it doesn't appear that local override was in place.

I just reset to factory settings and reconfigured the dimmers again and all worked fine.

The only thing I can think of is that the area naming didn't register for some reason... hopefully there will be no problem again but all is now sorted. Another possibility is that I somehow tagged the channels incorrectly, although the key presses weren't switching any other channel on any of the dimmers.

Odd but resolved!

Raven, Jun 25, 2008
  5. Raven

ICS-GS

good old area addressing... gotta love it... (or get rid of it :p)

ICS-GS, Jun 29, 2008
Ask a Question